March 28, 2024, 07:26:03 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: neutralizing car battery acid  (Read 45750 times)

designengineering

neutralizing car battery acid
« on: July 23, 2004, 01:24:10 PM »
I would like to know what is the best way to neutralize car battery acid...I believe it is sulfuric acid.  We are looking for a chemial that can be sprayed onto a polypropelene mat so when the acid leaks out of the battery it is absorbed into the mat and neutralized before it destroys the metal battery tray.

Any thoughts on the subject would be much appreciated.

David

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
Re:neutralizing car battery acid
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 05:19:04 PM »
You could put a large amount of limestone down (it's calcium carbonate and will neutralize the acid until it's gone).  If it's particulate, it might be dusty, though.  You could also look into getting plastic pans--that would probably be a lot easier.  There's a lot of inorganic carbonates out there, like baking soda for instance, that will do the same thing (baking soda is actually sodium bicarbonate, but whatever). Any of the carbonates will produce gas, namely CO2.  You might be able to do some complicated stuff with buffered solutions or weak bases, but it's truly easier just to buy a plastic pan.

budullewraagh

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 06:46:29 PM »
if you're looking for a spray, i recommend NaOH(aq).  it's the main ingredient in drano, although along with it you will have a bit of NaHClO.  i would not recommend any carbonate or bicarbonate mainly because a great deal of CO2(g) would be released which could get annoying.  

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 06:41:53 PM »
But if you use NaOH, you need to remember a few things:

1. It is caustic to the skin
2. If you get it in your eye, it will burn out your retina
3. Dust from the solid, or possibly spray can damage the lungs
4. Reaction with sulfuric acid will generate a tremendous amount of heat, possibly causing acid spatter
5. NaOH tends to be decently corrosive, as well as the acid itself.  Some things that the acid won't attack, the hyroxide might.

This is why I recommended the bicarbs, even though they will fizz a lot.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 07:42:23 PM »
Also, a spray of an NaOH solution will make whatever it is sprayed onto INCREDIBLY slick.  So the chances of a slip and fall if someone were to walk on the mat would increase quite a bit.  
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 01:24:41 PM »
Why not Calcium Oxide?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links