Topic: ebola  (Read 4079 times)

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
ebola
« on: November 27, 2014, 05:16:14 AM »
Hi guys, I found this article
http://cen.acs.org/articles/92/i48/Unraveling-Ebola.html

Can anyone explain to me why for example protein VP40 is not a good drug target? I mean if you could block the virus leaving the cell it infected, wouldnt it be possible treatment?

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: ebola
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 10:28:49 AM »
Good question!

Certainly if you could inhibit VP40, you would have an effective treatment for ebola, so the problem is likely that it is difficult to target VP40.  Why might this be the case?  Most small molecule drugs target enzymes because the active site of the enzyme provides a nice pocket in which the drug can bind (of course, there are plenty of examples of drugs binding to allosteric pockets on proteins, see for example, the non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors).  Binding a drug into a pocket (as opposed to a surface of the enzyme) makes it easier for the drug to form a number of interactions with the target protein, decreasing the binding constant and increasing the specificity of the interaction.  For these reasons, targeting non-enzymatic proteins (e.g. transcription factors or proteins whose primary function is in forming protein-protein interactions) with small molecule drugs has historically been difficult, to the point that they have been considered undruggable.  Because VP40 is not an enzyme, it falls in this "undruggable" class.  In contrast, small molecule drugs have been developed to combat the major enzyme encoded by ebola, L.

Of course, small molecule inhibitors are not the only type of drug available.  Potential ebola therapies also include antibodies and siRNAs.  Antibodies, however, can target only extraceullular proteins, so they would only work against the ebola glycoprotein.  siRNAs, on the other hand, could potentially work against any of the viral proteins, yet siRNA therapies are only being developed against VP35 and VP24.  This is likely because VP35 and VP24 are produced in much lower amounts than VP40 or nucleocapsid, thus it is easier to inhibit virus reproduction by knocking down these proteins (in other words, it is more likely that the amounts of VP24 and VP35 are limiting for virus production than the amounts of VP40 and nucleocapsid).

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 10:51:10 AM »
C&EN spent so much time on this story. The lead authors are even from different departments. Is this the kind of story the chemistry community prefers? Or is short and sweet better?
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 11:50:16 AM »
Yes, these large articles, especially if they're very topical, are what I enjoy the most.  There seems to be something for everybody.  And if I can't follow something, I'll ask our group, like kriggy: did.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 04:06:07 PM »
C&EN spent so much time on this story. The lead authors are even from different departments. Is this the kind of story the chemistry community prefers? Or is short and sweet better?

Im not sure, I didnt finish it yet (but started twice already :-D )
I realy like it, it explains very clearly the problem. Its scientific just enough so I understand even when I suck at biochemistry and on the other hand its not that simple-popular article for everyone. It might be bit too long for my taste so I couldnt finish it at once  but so far it was very interesting read.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 11:52:26 AM »

I liked the story, especially some of the tidbits from the interviews of those developing the drugs.  It's nice to get a sense of some of the practical problems the drug developers must face in the process of creating their drugs (e.g. finding out that L is produced in too high a copy number to effectively inhibit via siRNA).  That "Dissecting Ebola" infographic was also really great (send my kudos to whomever made that).

Although there have been a few short science news pieces talking about the various anti-ebola drugs under development, I do appreciate the that the C&EN article went into more depth on this issue.

Sponsored Links