March 19, 2024, 02:16:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Calculation on energy transition in hydrogen spectrum  (Read 1660 times)

Offline kaystrife

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Calculation on energy transition in hydrogen spectrum
« on: November 27, 2014, 08:44:50 AM »
Hi everyone I came across with this problem today:

Calculate the energy (in eV) for the second highest-energy transition of the Pfund series.

To my understanding, the second highest-energy transition of the Pfund series is the energy transition from n=∞-1 to n=5, and I used the equation 1/λ = RH(1/n^2 - 1/m^2).

But since ∞-1 ~ ∞ and the answer obtained will be equal to the energy transition from n=∞ to n=5

I'm not good at maths and I'm not sure if there's way to distinguish ∞-1 from ∞, or did I misunderstand the question?

Please help, thank you  :-[

P.S. Sorry for my poor English

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Calculation on energy transition in hydrogen spectrum
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 10:44:24 AM »
That is kind of a bizarre question, but I agree with your answer. The transitions reach a convergence limit at high energy (the energy level density approaches infinity), so there is no functional energy difference between the highest energy transition (which equals the ionization potential) and the second highest energy transition, which is infinitesimally close to the highest energy transition.

I guess the question is supposed to be tricky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_spectral_series
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links