March 19, 2024, 01:25:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Project Proposal ( Challenging Graphene ) Help needed  (Read 3175 times)

Offline ferdin08

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Project Proposal ( Challenging Graphene ) Help needed
« on: November 27, 2014, 02:02:07 PM »
I am a Masters student in Nanotechnology, I am about to start my Career as a PhD candidate by coming august 2015. I want write my Project proposal in 2D materials. I am very confused especially between "Molybdenum Disulphide,Phosphorene and Graphene" still some other 2D materials are out there. But i am sticking with three of these. Graphene is wonderful,beautiful and useIss in Electronics,"Molybdenum Disulphide,Phosphorene" are semi conductors yet graphene is a conductor. have read many research papers and articles stating that Molybdenum Disulphide is better in all ways than Graphene and Phosphorene over Molybdenum Disulphide. I would like you to share your thought on them.

Thank you

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Project Proposal ( Challenging Graphene ) Help needed
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 07:24:17 PM »
Hi ferdin08,

so you hope to find on a forum someone who can make a rational opinion about graphene vs phosphorene vs molybdene bisulphide as bidimensional semiconductors? Just finding a fellow who has read research papers about them would already be a piece of luck...

My two cents worth of comments:
- I believe to have read that graphene is a semiconductor under the proper conditions: orientation, maybe doping. And for sure, the current through it can be controlled - small electronic circuits have already been made.
- I admire chemists very much, but keep in mind that semiconductors are very special. Circuits deal with ten atoms thickness, completely unusual solids, reactants and products that must be gas or plasma, purity unseen anywhere else. This has so little to do with normal chemistry that asking for help is often disappointing - that's unavoidable. Semiconductors are an other planet.
- Optoelectronics on GaN, AlN, GaAlN, InGaN develops quickly these days. I suppose there is still much research to do in this sector and we're sure the applications exist. In contrast, everyone ignores whether graphene and the like will have uses some day as electronic devices.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Project Proposal ( Challenging Graphene ) Help needed
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 03:37:27 AM »
My impression of graphene is a huge ratio of Research interest to Practical applications. At the moment at least.

Sponsored Links