March 28, 2024, 09:11:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Neutralization  (Read 2167 times)

Offline MariusB

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Neutralization
« on: December 03, 2014, 11:14:04 AM »
Hi!

Can someone please answer me how to calculate this?

What volume of 0,40m naoh is required to neutralize 20.0 ml 0.30m h2so4?

Thank you!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Neutralization
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 11:23:32 AM »
Well, to begin with, you need a balanced chemical equation.  This lets us know you're ready to solve problems like this.  You've got solutions of two different concentrations.  Warning:  capitalization is important in chemistry  M is a different unit than m.  The balanced chemical equation will keep you from making an error as you calculate.

Also, kindly trouble yourself to read the Forum Rules{click}, we like to see some effort from posters, on this forum.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline MariusB

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 11:38:58 AM »
Im sorry about the capitalization, it is moles not mass.

Forums is a new thing for me and i am Norweigan so excuse my spelling and behavior.

I am practicing for the chemistry part of my medical entrance exam so i just tried to figure out how to solve problems like this..

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 11:57:05 AM »
OK.  M means molarity, that's moles per liter, whereas m means molality, which is moles per kg of solution.  You simply have to get it right. 

Trivia: Italian doesn't have the letter 'k', all metric weights are listed as 'cilo' in supermarkets.  However, every scientist in Italy uses this mysterious, unknown assortment of lines, that everyone else calls 'k', when doing work. 

Ok, back to work:  Neither M or m means moles, which may occasionally be abbreviated mol.  And you will have to be able to balance a simple equation like this one, they have put it on the test just to trick you -- the answer would be different for 0.3 M HCl, as an example.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 02:27:40 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline cseil

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 03:43:36 AM »
OK.  M means molarity, that's moles per liter, whereas m means molality, which is moles per kg of solution.  You simply have to get it right. 

Trivia: Italian doesn't have the letter 'k', all metric weights are listed as 'cilo' in supermarkets.  However, every scientist in Italy uses this mysterious, unknown assortment of lines, that everyone else calls 'k', when doing work. 

Ok, back to work:  Neither M or m means moles, which may occasionally be abbreviated mol.  And you will have to be able to balance a simple equation like this one, they have put it on the test just to trick you -- the answer would be different for 0.3 M HCl, as an example.

It is "chilo" in italian!!  ;D

Sponsored Links