April 23, 2024, 11:15:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Methyl Jasmonate....But which one?  (Read 3918 times)

Offline PowerGrown

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Methyl Jasmonate....But which one?
« on: December 05, 2014, 02:58:24 PM »
I sell plant growth regulators to hobbyist and some professionals. I have a customer looking for Methyl Jasmonate. It will be used on plants to stimulate resin production. What we really want is Jasmonic Acid but its cost prohibitive but studies show that Methyl Jasmonate which is made from Jasmonic acid will work also.

My problem is that when I search for Methyl Jasmonate, the results turn up several different products with that name but different CAS numbers. 1211-29-6, 20073-13-6, and 39924-52-2. I do not know which one I want. Im looking for a powdered form as I believe it would be easier to store then the liquid that needs to be refrigerated.

Any help and advice on this would be appreciated.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
Re: Methyl Jasmonate....But which one?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 03:04:22 PM »
After a short search it seems that all those numbers are for the same compound

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 03:29:36 PM »
Methyl jasmonate contains a number of stereocenters, and the compounds associated with those different CAS numbers differ in whether the compounds are optically pure or not.  For example, 1211-26-6 refers to the optically pure material, while 39924-52-2 appears to be a racemate (as well as differing in the configuration of the double bond) .  See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pccompound?term=%22Methyl+jasmonate%22

Offline PowerGrown

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 01:55:57 AM »
Methyl jasmonate contains a number of stereocenters, and the compounds associated with those different CAS numbers differ in whether the compounds are optically pure or not.  For example, 1211-26-6 refers to the optically pure material, while 39924-52-2 appears to be a racemate (as well as differing in the configuration of the double bond) .  See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pccompound?term=%22Methyl+jasmonate%22
I appreciate your answer however I am not a chemist although chemistry is my first love, Im mathematically dyslexic among other learning disorders and my mind refused to cooperate when I studied it in college and was forced to drop it.I literally dreamed of finishing for years. I said that to say that it pains me but I do not understand your replay in the faintest.  I like your nick name by the way, good one. Do you perhaps know which one it is Im looking for?

And kriggy thats what I was thinking at first but some information I read, leads me to believe that one of them is a food flavoring.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 06:38:18 AM »
This is an simple question to answer.  If you want to use a reagent, and you don't know which one to use, use the one referenced in the document you're trying to follow.  There are other grades of compound, and other ones with slight chemical differences (that you can't understand, but we can fix that in time,) but you can't use those.  Unless you test them out first, and then you know if they work or not.

Hey, I said the answer was simple, I didn't say it was inexpensive or complete.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 10:55:49 AM »
I appreciate your answer however I am not a chemist although chemistry is my first love, Im mathematically dyslexic among other learning disorders and my mind refused to cooperate when I studied it in college and was forced to drop it.I literally dreamed of finishing for years. I said that to say that it pains me but I do not understand your replay in the faintest.  I like your nick name by the way, good one. Do you perhaps know which one it is Im looking for?

After re-reading my post, I do agree that it is completely incomprehensible to anyone who has not studied chemistry at the university level. Sorry about that :)

As for which one too use, I don't know either. In your original post, you referenced some studies. If you post links or citations to the studies, I might be able to take a look and see if I can figure out which type of methyl jasmonate they used.

Sponsored Links