April 19, 2024, 07:20:11 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about Sintered Glass filter  (Read 1988 times)

Offline asmcriminal

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Question about Sintered Glass filter
« on: December 07, 2014, 07:31:57 PM »
Hello, I bought a buchner funnel, I thought it was the regular type I have used in lab, the kind where you add the filter paper. This funnel has no filter paper. I guess my concern is, I am filtering gold, it's pretty small particles, looks like sand, but a bit finer. I tried to dry it in a beaker by putting it on the hot plate and evaporating off the water, that just caused the gold particles to stick to the glass.

So I guess I am asking, is it possible the particles to get "stuck" on to the funnel? Also a more general question, how do i take stuff out o the funnel? We usually just pull out the filter paper and our stuff is on the paper, but obviously this has no filter paper, so how do i remove compounds from the funnel?

thanks

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Question about Sintered Glass filter
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 09:33:12 AM »
If you're interested in capturing what being filtered out, instead of the filtrate, then you will need filter paper.  Even though this is a sintered frit, instead of the porcelain with holes, you can still use filter paper.  Especially if your filtrate is so fine as to enter the sintered glass.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links