April 26, 2024, 12:09:30 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: what happens to organics while we make ph adjustment with NaOH.  (Read 2306 times)

Offline melikeisgoren

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
what happens to organics while we make ph adjustment with NaOH.
« on: December 11, 2014, 02:26:50 PM »
Im working with an organic pesticide (malathion).I am trying to remove pesticide from water with a wet oxidation process. but while I was trying to see the effects of ph on removal efficiency I realize that pesticide is completly removes after   setting ph 11 with NaOH . I observe the malathion consantration after treatment with HPLC.I check the same  sample malathion consantration also with LC MS-MS . But there was no malathion in the sample. So can you explain me what happens to the malathion (pesticide) when we make ph adjustment with NaOH.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: what happens to organics while we make ph adjustment with NaOH.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 02:45:08 PM »
From the MSDS, Malathion is rapidly hydrolyzed by pH greater than 7 or less than 5.  Which is weird, because the stuff is itself pH 3.5 in 50 % solution.  At any rate, yeah, you're going to have to be very gentle with this compound, its used because it so easily decomposes, so don't remain poisonous in the environment for long.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline AromaticAcrobatic

• Mole Snacks: +5/-1
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 11:46:23 PM »
So can you explain me what happens to the malathion (pesticide) when we make ph adjustment with NaOH.

At pH 11 with NaOH, the highlighted esters will be transformed to carboxylic acids(which is the same molecule except the highlighted areas are replaced with OH).

:spinpaired:

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 03:19:28 PM »
Phosphate triesters are labile to hydrolysis.  The presence of a phosphorus-sulfur double bond will slow down the hydrolysis rate, relative to the same compound with a phosphorus-oxygen double bond.

Offline AromaticAcrobatic

• Mole Snacks: +5/-1
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 05:27:15 PM »
Phosphate triesters are labile to hydrolysis.  The presence of a phosphorus-sulfur double bond will slow down the hydrolysis rate, relative to the same compound with a phosphorus-oxygen double bond.

That's good to know, I didn't know that.  :D

:spinpaired:

Sponsored Links