April 25, 2024, 01:37:50 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Solution Stoichiometry Problem  (Read 2645 times)

Offline cvc121

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Solution Stoichiometry Problem
« on: December 13, 2014, 01:28:37 PM »
Hi,

I am having a lot of trouble trying solve the following problem:

A piece of aluminum is placed in a beaker containing 500mL of H2SO4 solution. Given the initial mass of Al is 15.14g, and the final mass of Al is 9.74g, what is the concentration of the H2SO4 solution?

The first I did is convert 500mL to liters, which is 0.5L. Am I able to use the C=n/V formula here, because I would still need the number of moles and I am not sure how to calculate this. How do I deal with the initial and final masses of Al?

Thanks. Your help is very much appreciated!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Solution Stoichiometry Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 04:53:17 PM »
The answer to how much acid there was is something you have to get from how much aluminum was lost.  You have that in grams, but you need units of concentration.  You're going to have to find some sort of equation that relates the two.  Can you come up with one.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Solution Stoichiometry Problem
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 12:00:13 PM »
Hi,

I am having a lot of trouble trying solve the following problem:

A piece of aluminum is placed in a beaker containing 500mL of H2SO4 solution. Given the initial mass of Al is 15.14g, and the final mass of Al is 9.74g, what is the concentration of the H2SO4 solution?

The first I did is convert 500mL to liters, which is 0.5L. Am I able to use the C=n/V formula here, because I would still need the number of moles and I am not sure how to calculate this. How do I deal with the initial and final masses of Al?

Thanks. Your help is very much appreciated!

Get the mass what is dissolved. Calculate this in mole.

Develop the chemical equation and read on it the ratio Aluminium to sulfuric acid.

Convert the moles of aluminium to the moles of sulfuric acid. Calculate this to the mass.

Calculate finaly the concentration with the given volume.

Sponsored Links