April 19, 2024, 09:19:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: On reading the 2D spectra  (Read 4302 times)

Offline Urbanium

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
On reading the 2D spectra
« on: December 14, 2014, 02:03:12 PM »
Could anyone suggest a textbook which describes how to read 2D spectra like COSY, NOESY, ROESY, TOCSY, HMBC, HSQC, H2BC, HMQC, COLOC?

On the basic spectroscopy course we used the textbook by Pavia, Lampman etc. which completely lacks the methods above and COSY and NOESY are explained quite badly when it comes to reading the spectra.

Now for the advanced course we're using Claridge's "High resolution NMR techniques" and all these 2D methods are mentioned and the theoretical part is well described, but there is absolutely nothing about interpreting the spectra and we're expected to know that for the exam.

I'm searching for some kind of noob or "for dummies"-style textbook which explains assignation step by step, without excluding the "obvious" steps...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 05:12:05 PM by Urbanium »

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
Re: On reading the 2D spectra
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 02:56:21 PM »
I think if you can understand the differences in pulse sequences it becomes straightforward.

Offline Urbanium

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 01:13:57 PM »
I think if you can understand the differences in pulse sequences it becomes straightforward.

Honestly, it does not quite. I have no problems describing practical part of each of these experiments in detail, but when it comes to reading the spectra I have no clue. Can you illustrate your comment with examples?

What I need is a recommendation for some book or online lessons where the way of reading the spectra is described. I can't believe there is a dozen of introductory NMR textbooks which explain very thoroughly how to read 1D spectra but not the 2D...  ???

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 01:32:40 PM »
There might not be any such book that is pitched at just the right level.  I would look at an older book:  "Two Dimensional NMR Spectroscopy," edited by WR Croasmun and RMK Carlson.  There is also an old review article by Horst Kessler that might be helpful also, although it might be similar to one chapter in the book above.  In leafing through this book just now, I am guessing that it doesn't quite fit the bill.  It does go through some examples, however.

Offline Irlanur

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-4
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 02:55:16 PM »
I mean these techniques have all their own pulsesequence, sense and kind of interpretation.  I don't think you understand the physics behind it, but that's actually not really important for their interpretation. (I mean... biologists can use it).

let's start with COSY. what do the peaks tell you?

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 03:16:43 PM »
I found those videos while ago. It explains the basics of interpreting rather well but what you truly need is practice. I mean I saw all of them but Im still not closer to interpretting my 2d nmr asignment (becaue its freakingly difficult on real spectra and Ive never done such a thing on my own) :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUM5BNBULwc&list=PLA0AAFCDFCE8FDE07

Offline OrgXemProf

• Mole Snacks: +17/-2
    • OrgXhemProf Home Page
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 10:35:49 PM »
Another golden oldie (but goodie):

G. E. Martin, A. S. Zektzer, "Two-Dimensional NMR Methods for Establishing Molecular Connectivity. A Chemist's Guide to Experiment Selection, Performance and Interpretation", VCH Publishers:New York, 1988, 508 pp.

Sponsored Links