April 26, 2024, 06:46:48 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Total synthesis of a natural compound  (Read 3273 times)

Offline Ingeniosuccinimide

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
Total synthesis of a natural compound
« on: December 15, 2014, 06:11:21 PM »
Let's say you found a paper on some natural compound and you want to check if someone else already reported the total/semitotal synthesis of that compound. What would be the best way to do that?

Does SciFinder contain only entries of natural compounds that have been prepared or also the compounds isolated from the natural sources?

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
Re: Total synthesis of a natural compound
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 03:08:30 AM »
I would go fo reaxys search of that compound or for any compounds which can be used as starting materials to this compound usig simple reactions - Its ester so look for alcohol or acid etc..
Or you can go for scifinder search you migh be looking for something like "total synthesis of x"

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Total synthesis of a natural compound
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 03:20:43 AM »
Let's say you found a paper on some natural compound and you want to check if someone else already reported the total/semitotal synthesis of that compound. What would be the best way to do that?

Depending on the size of the molecule, SciFinder or Reaxys structure search is probably the best option. You can do a substructure search for the basic core structure as well to find any "studies towards the total synthesis of..." papers.

Does SciFinder contain only entries of natural compounds that have been prepared or also the compounds isolated from the natural sources?

Both. Reaxys does too.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links