April 26, 2024, 05:33:11 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Accidified Drinking Water  (Read 5395 times)

Offline Insegnami

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Accidified Drinking Water
« on: December 22, 2014, 09:44:21 AM »
Dear members,

I have a question about dissolving Iodo-deoxyuridine (IdU), C9H11IN2O5,  in acidified water (with HCl).
Idu is used for labeling proliferating cells, because it can be incorporated into the DNA-strand. And I want it to dissolve it in acidified water for my experiments.

In the product description it says:  Solubility method: 50mg/ml in 1 N ammonium hydroxide. Although most colleagues dissolve it in demi-water.
How can I find out if I can dilute it in acidified water (pH 2,5-3)? It is really important that the IdU is chemically stable, so the cells can recognize it.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Accidified Drinking Water
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 10:51:12 AM »
Well, your question is a little confusing.  Your colleagues can dissolve it in dist water (I'm guessing, I don't recognize demi-water.)  You have a method that specifies a dilute solution of base.  You intend to use it on living cells, which I assume prefer to be in a carefully buffered neutral pH environment.  Where did you get the idea to use a low pH?  Where did you read it?  That source may give insights into stability and bio-availability at low pH.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Insegnami

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Accidified Drinking Water
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 09:48:54 AM »
Yeah sorry, I left that part out.
Demi water = dist water.
I intend to use it in drinking water for mice. It has to be acidified to prevent bacteria and fungi growth in the drinking water. We need to dissolve 1 mg/mL in acidified water (max pH of 4).

Sponsored Links