April 19, 2024, 05:28:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Gas Liquid Mixture  (Read 2124 times)

Offline davidkien68

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Gas Liquid Mixture
« on: December 28, 2014, 02:20:43 PM »
Hi everyone

Kindly help me. I know how to calculate liquid/liquid and gas/gas mixture properties like density,viscosity. My question is if from a reactor butanol,diesel and water are coming out at 176 0c where boiling points of these compounds are as follows:

butanol  117 0c

diesel     250-3500c

water      1000c
I have to use this stream in a heat exchanger to heat another stream. Here water and butanol are gases and diesel is still liquid. so it is a liquid gas mixture. for this mixture which relationships would be use to calculate above mentioned properties. please reply as soon as possible. I would be very grateful to you.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Gas Liquid Mixture
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 02:48:35 PM »
Hi Davidkien68, welcome here!

For the density, you could add the masse of all constituents, and the volumes of gaseous butanol and water plus the volume of liquid Diesel oil, in a first approximation. All at normal pressure?

Or more subtle, compute the vapour pressure of your Diesel oil (very variable at 176°C, whether this oil boils at 250°C or 350°C), for instance by Antoine's equation if you know the parameters for the current oil, and add the volumes of the liquid part to the volumes of all gases.

The viscosity is unclear to me. By googling
viscosity aerosol
I got half a million hits, among others
http://aaqr.org/VOL2_No1_June2002/8_AAQR-02-06-OA-0008_71-86.pdf
other documents may be more directly useable.

Sponsored Links