March 28, 2024, 01:10:00 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hair styling formulation questions  (Read 3797 times)

Offline BackwoodsBarber

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hair styling formulation questions
« on: December 30, 2014, 01:08:09 PM »
styling product but, I am new to this process. If anyone can give any feedback on if my ratios are close I would appreciate it. Will this give me High hold, low shine, soft to touch pomade/paste. And is it necessary to add a preservative? If so, what is the typical use amount? My formula is based on 118g or 4oz.

Water 53g 45%
Oil 46g 39%

Beeswax  11.25g
Total: 10%
Oil Phase: 22%
Req'd HLB 12
Oil contribution 1x12=12

Shea butter 9.4g
Total: 8%
Req'd HLB 8
Oil contribution 0.8x8=6.4

Petroleum9.4g
Total: 8%
Oil Phase 22%
Req'd HLB 7
Oil contribution 0.8x7= 5.6

Lanolin  11.25g
Req'd HLB 10
Oil contribution 1x10=10

Ceteareth-20
18% to get 22 HLB
HLB 15.2
Use level: 15-30%
21g

PVP
Total: 7%
8g

Hydrogenated castor oil
HLB 15
Total: 10% = 12ml or 12HLB

Glycerin 5% 6ml

Essential oil
Total: 1%
Oil Phase: 2%
 20drops cedar wood, 5 drops sandalwood, 3 drops clary sage and 3 drops Lemongrass

HLB required is 34
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 04:39:22 PM by BackwoodsBarber »

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Hair styling formulation questions
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 03:28:14 PM »
Our members follow the forum rules so I expect that you will not get a response or at the best a very limited response.

Due to their potential health hazards, we will also not help you prepare your own medicines or cosmetics.

The link to the rules is near the top center page
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Offline BackwoodsBarber

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 12:44:05 PM »
My bad, I guess I didn't fully read them. I revised my post. Really Im just looking for feedback. I've been learning a lot and i've come up with this entirely on my own. If someone could just tell me I'm going in the right direction and offer any input on my findings, that's all I'm looking for.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 06:32:07 AM »
This is a highly specialized problem, I am not convinced any of our regulars will be able to help (that's to tell you lack of answers doesn't mean you are ignored, we just don't have necessary skills).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 11:26:52 AM »
I don't have formulation experience, or specific chemistry education for cosmetic formulation.  So I can't help you directly, sorry.

I work for a consumer goods company, and I recognize some of what you mention, but I can't give you help.  I doubt my coworkers can either.   Much of what they know is proprietary, and they can't share it with you.  They may do what you're doing, but only when the boss tells them to, 'cause then they'll get paid.  I suspect you'll find that sort of response just about anywhere you ask.

On some levels, I don't understand what you're writing, and it leads me to believe that you don't understand either.  So even though I can't help, and know people who probably won't help, I don't think you're ready either.  Example:

Water 53g 45%
Oil 46g 39%

Beeswax  11.25g
Req'd HLB 12
Oil contribution 1x12=12

I can't follow this very well.  Your product is going to be 45% water and 39% oil, fine.  But why are the other ingredients mentioned as percentages too?  Are those the percentages of the ingredients of the oil portion?  What does HLB and Use level mean?  Is glycerin part of the water portion or the oil portion?  Or is it added after both?  You use essential oils in drops, but everything else is more technically measured, so I don't really understand if this is for home use, or if you're compounding for a small business, or if you work for a larger company.  You mention that you need preservative information, but what preservatives do you know about and can get?  And how long do you plan on storing this?

Maybe you can get better answers on a forum dedicated to home production of cosmetics, since you seem to know the jargon, maybe they can understand it better.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 05:12:19 PM »
Out of curiosity is there a product that is like yours already on the marked?
name of product please

Sponsored Links