April 24, 2024, 09:16:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Balance an equation  (Read 3677 times)

Offline MITaylor

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Balance an equation
« on: January 11, 2015, 02:19:41 PM »
The question is: "When glucose is burned in air, carbon dioxide and water vapor are produced.  Write the balanced chemical equation for the process."  As the unbalanced chemical equation, I'm guessing it's "C6H12O6  :rarrow:  CO2 + H20."  I've started balancing (six of carbon dioxide to balance the carbon in glucose, six of water vapor to balance the hydrogen in glucose, and three of glucose to balance the oxygen), but I feel like it's going to keep going in a loop.  Should I keep going the way I am, or did I write the equation incorrectly?
Thanks!

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Balance an equation
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 02:31:10 PM »
The question is: "When glucose is burned in air, carbon dioxide and water vapor are produced.  Write the balanced chemical equation for the process."  As the unbalanced chemical equation, I'm guessing it's "C6H12O6  :rarrow:  CO2 + H2O."  I've started balancing (six of carbon dioxide to balance the carbon in glucose, six of water vapor to balance the hydrogen in glucose, and three of glucose to balance the oxygen), but I feel like it's going to keep going in a loop.  Should I keep going the way I am, or did I write the equation incorrectly?
Thanks!

What are the components of air?

Offline MITaylor

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 02:43:08 PM »
I don't know... I'm in my second semester of honors chem; we're not going into that right now.  We've gone over balancing equations a while back and now we're onto using moles of a reactant to find grams of a product (or vice/versa), which is actually the second part of this question.  For the most part, I've got balancing and moles down, but I'm stuck on this one.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 03:26:09 PM »
What it means "burned in the air"? More precisely - what is burning and why is the air necessary?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline MITaylor

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 03:39:46 PM »
Oh, that's just the book trying to come up with a fancy way to say "when glucose is burned, carbon dioxide and water are produced."  It does that a lot.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 05:19:03 PM »
Sigh.

Why is the air necessary?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline MITaylor

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 05:49:42 PM »
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have added that in sry...
It's just my stupid book's attempt at giving us real-life examples lol

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 06:06:45 PM »
You're really going to have to try harder with this, and stop blaming the book.  What happens to burning things, when we seal them away from fresh air?  Why does that happen?  For that matter, if we seal a living animal, in a container without fresh air, what happens, sooner or later?  If something in the air is needed, then isn't it a reactant, and need in the balanced reaction?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Zyklonb

• Mole Snacks: +30/-10
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 10:52:31 PM »
[Chuckles...]
Look at the equation, there is not enough of ______ to produce CO2 and H2O. You are missing a reactant on the left side of the equation which makes it impossible to balance.
I'm in my second semester of honors chem.
Ah.

Sponsored Links