April 26, 2024, 05:01:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Extraction yield improvement on amine and carboxcylic functionalized molecules.  (Read 3229 times)

Offline Johte

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hey all,

This applies to a couple of reactions I'm trying to perform. Unfortunately, bringing to neutral pH and extraction with DCM doesn't seem to be giving me good yields at all. I want to put an acetic acid moiety on both ends of variable lengths diamines.

My starting amines are just diamines or N,N' dimethyl ethylenediamide. I've attempted H+/Zn reduction because glyoxylic acid is a mono hydrate salt and NaBH4 was still reacting well over the calculated equivelent ( pink, schiff base, was still observed. )  I've tried bromo and iodo acetic acid with the N,N' dimethyl ethylenediamide but there is an immediate precipitate which redissolves when brought to reflux in ACN. Removal of solvent left a yellow liquid/oil which gave me a M+H of 245 that I can't seem to figured out even with MS/MS/MS.

I'm assuming there's some reaction occurring at the carboxylic acid first based off this papers ( dx.doi.org/10.1021/jm401603e | J. Med. Chem. 2014, 57, 2213−2236 ) routes suggestion Me or Et protection of the acid first. I want to try this ( I don't have thionyl chloride so I would do fischer esterification with H2SO4 and MeOH ) but like with the original reductive amination I'm worried about losing my product in the aqueous.

Suggestions Appreciated!

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
You can make SOCl2 easily or sulphuryl chloride(liquid phase Cl2 that decomposes upon reflux); http://www.google.com/patents/US5879652.  Main requirement is a high pressure high temperature reactor.  SO2 and Cl2 can be generated from salts; just do some thermal gravimetic analysis to figure out what salts to use to get sulphur dioxide, iron is bad but Fe2(SO4)3 is an example.  Purify with PPh3 to remove the metal content and byproducts like SCl2, S2Cl2, metals.  POCl3 also complexes very well with metals.

e.g. malonic esters can be deprotected using Cl- in DMSO; ethyl ester withstands this SN2 deprotection better.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
If you did not esterify your carboxylic acid, would your molecule be a zwitterion in solution?

Sponsored Links