April 26, 2024, 11:38:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Morphine in solution?  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Nineteen

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Morphine in solution?
« on: January 21, 2015, 07:59:57 PM »
Hey there.  I hope this is in the right place, and looking at the type of threads here this may be a stupid question, just hoping it won't be frowned upon too much.

I don't use opium tea myself (too dangerous), but I do have a psychology degree that includes education in psychoactive drugs, and friends who do use the stuff.  Now I'm a little confused because after some brief research I found out that morphine in its base and hydrated form is not very water soluble at all -- it is usually turned into a salt to be injected, which needs to be synthesized from the morphine found in the plant.  The other alkaloid people seem to care about, thebaine, is also not water soluble, so I'm concerned about what exactly is in this tea people are drinking.  If it isn't morphine, codeine or thebaine, what is it?  And if it is, how is it that these water-insoluble molecules are steeped out of the tea?

Again, hopefully this isn't too weird/stupid of a question, and that it's in the right place, and that I get an answer that can be comprehended with only three undergrad chem courses under my belt.  Thanks for any explanation or ideas.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Morphine in solution?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 04:28:58 PM »
@Nineteen
It appears you have violated forum rules.
Click on the link near the top center of the forum page.
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Contact me via the forum message system or 
use the Report to moderator link
if you think otherwise.

Topic locked

Sponsored Links