April 25, 2024, 03:34:42 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Enzyme Kinetics- is my summary correct...?  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Lo.Lee.Ta.

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
Enzyme Kinetics- is my summary correct...?
« on: January 22, 2015, 02:10:12 PM »
I have been looking at this enzyme kinetics stuff forever and was trying to come up with a summary for things... #=_=

Is this even right...? :/

|---------------|This segment I'm calling "Part 2"
           k1         k2
E + S  ::equil::  ES  :rarrow:  E + P
           k-1
|---------------|This segment I'm calling "Part 1"

Part 1 and Part 2 are separate reactions, but together, they form the overall enzyme reaction.
Part 1 is dependent on the Km value, Part 2 is dependent on the Kcat value, and the entire enzyme reaction is dependent on the ratio of Kcat to Km (or Kcat/Km).

Part 1:
Since it is dependent on the Km value, and Km = (k-1  +  k2)/k1, which means
 (ES breakdown)/(ES formation), you have to ask, "Is the ES breakdown higher than the formation?"
If yes, then it means  :spinup: Km, so ES tends to break down (slow).
If no,  :spindown: Km, so ES tends to stay together (fast rxn).

Part 2:
Have to ask, "Is Kcat high or low?"
If high, fast product formation.
If low, slow product formation.

So for the entire enzyme-catalyzed reaction, it seems like there would only be these 4 possibilities:

1.  :spinup: Kcat +  :spinup: Km = slow for ES to form, but once it does, quickly generates product.

2.  :spinup: Kcat +  :spindown: Km = fast for ES to form and quickly generates product.

3.  :spindown: Kcat +  :spinup: Km = slow for ES to form, and once it does, slowly generates product.

4.  :spindown: Kcat +  :spindown: Km = fast for ES to form, but slowly generates product.

...Well, is any of this even right??? :(
Please help me! D:
Thank you SO much! :)

Offline Irlanur

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-4
Re: Enzyme Kinetics- is my summary correct...?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 03:24:13 PM »
I didn't look at it too closely, but I guess that looks fine. of course you can have all kind of intermediate cases, not only the ones you have. anyways, they help to understand.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: Enzyme Kinetics- is my summary correct...?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 11:34:48 AM »
Most enzymes have more than three rate constants, and the definitions of the various kinetic constants is accordingly more complex.  Your way of thinking about these issues seems a little different to me than what I am used to.  Some kineticists focus on Vmax and V/K as the fundamental kinetic constants, and they think of Km as the ratio of these two.  You might find Dexter Northrop's article to be helpful:  http://biochemlab.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Biochemistry-concepts-enzyme-kinetics-Northrup.pdf

Sponsored Links