April 26, 2024, 11:44:02 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Diacetyl (2,3 butanedione)  (Read 3823 times)

bakokadir

Diacetyl (2,3 butanedione)
« on: January 28, 2015, 10:26:53 AM »
Hi all,
im new to the forum so apologies if this question is in the wrong place.
I have little knowledge of chemicals and chemistry but have been doing some research online on Diacetyl. From what I understand it’s a natural byproduct of the fermentation process, its also added to foods to add a creamy buttery texture and if inhaled can cause lung disease such as bronchiolitis obliterans.

I have made a few fruit and coffee flavor extracts and want to test them for Diacetyl. Also while I’m there also wanted to test them for Acetoin.

So finally to the question. Does anyone know of the test i need to carry out to see if my extracts contain this chemical? if testing for these chemicals is a very complicated process and needs to be carried out by professional, does anyone know of a LAB in the UK i can get samples sent to for testing?

Thanks in advance

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Diacetyl (2,3 butanedione)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 05:01:12 AM »
I don't know directly, but you might consider contacting an electronic cigarette e-liquid manufacturer. Diacetyl is a concern for these products and the higher end operations do claim to have their products analysed for it. Many of them are friendly small businesses that would probably be happy to point you in the right direction. You could also ask on an e-cig forum.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

bakokadir

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 06:25:35 AM »
Thank you for your reply, i have done alot of research on the e cigarette forums, but i was hopeing i could get a more indepth understanding of the chemicals, how to test for them and how they work on here.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 08:33:01 AM »
Maybe you might pay a visit to local university (if there is one in your town) and talk to someone there. I mean there is a chance that someone might be interested in that kind of stuff or maybe they can point you to an undergrad who can do the analysis for you because it fits the theme of his/her thesis.

Offline Furanone

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +34/-2
  • Actually more a Food Chemist
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 09:23:08 AM »
The traditional method is Gas Chromatography, but here is an article that analyzes diacetyl in yogurt using a spectrophotometer or fluorimeter based on a distillation sample preparation, and compares to gas chromatography method. I can send article if you want just PM me your email address.

Analysis of diacetyl in yogurt by two new spectrophotometric and fluorimetric methods
Eduardo J. Guerra^Hernández, Rosa García Estepa, Isabel Rodriguez Rivas

doi:10.1016/0308-8146(95)93939-O

Abstract
Two new methods (spectrophotometric and fluorimetric) are reported for the determination of diacetyl in yogurt. The diacetyl was isolated by distillation and condensed with isoniazide. This solution was then treated with Zr(IV) to form a complex, which was measured with these two methods. Average recovery of diacetyl was 96.8% for spectrophotometry and 99.1% for fluorimetry, while precision was RSD = 2.5 and 1.0%, respectively. The concentration of diacetyl in yogurt ranged from 0.79 to 2.77 μg/g. The two procedures gave statistically similar results. The fluorimetric method was compared with a traditional method (gas chromatography), for which acetaldehyde, acetone, methanol, and ethanol were also determined.

Also:

Rapid gas-chromatographic method for the determination of diacetyl in milk, fermented milk and butter
V. Macciolaa, G. Candelab, A. De Leonardisa, ,

doi:10.1016/j.foodcont.2007.08.014

Abstract
In this work, a simple and fast method for the determination of diacetyl by gas-chromatographic technique coupled with flame ionisation detector (GLC-FID) was developed. Diacetyl is the typical butter flavour, but it is also commonly present in others fermented dairy products. Recently, diacetyl determination has also attracted interest because it is one of the parameters on which lactic acid bacteria (L.A.B.) are characterized and valued. Only acetone and 2,3-pentanedione were used as chemicals. After centrifugation of acetone–milk mixture, supernatant was filtered and directly injected into gas-chromatographic apparatus, without a further purification procedure step.

This method was accurate and precise; diacetyl recovery on milk was 97% and the detection limit was 1 mg L−1. Finally, by using this method, diacetyl was easily determined in fresh and high-temperature treated milk, commercial butter, yoghurt and also in a series of L.A.B. performance tests.
"The true worth of an experimenter consists in pursuing not only what he seeks in his experiment, but also what he did not seek."

--Sir William Bragg (1862 - 1942)

bakokadir

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 02:50:25 AM »
Thank you for that, I’m going to look into the above testing methods. At the moment I think my account on this forum is restricted so I cannot PM you. But I will try and look for the paper you mentioned

Sponsored Links