April 25, 2024, 07:09:06 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Several chromatographic questions  (Read 1432 times)

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
Several chromatographic questions
« on: January 28, 2015, 05:06:13 PM »
Does anyone of you have any experience with chromatographic software like Chromsword, Drylab, Chromwork, Chromsim or others? Im looking for some review about this software - advantages, disadvantages etc...

Lets say I have ploted Langmuir adsorption isotherm q vs cfeed where cfeed is concentration of compound which is put at the start of the column. Is it possible to use data from small column (V=4 ml) and use it for larger column (V=500 l) if we asume that they have same stationary phase and the only difference is size?
Does the value of q change during the analysis? I mean if I load the column with solution with concentration of 1kg/l but i will collect the 1kg of my compound in 5 litres of mobile phase so the concentration is lower so the q should be lower ie. moving from preparative part of isotherm to analytical part of  the isotherm. Is this at all possible?
I mean my supervisor has this argument about the lowering of the concentration and he wante me to plot the starting point and the end point of the separation into the isotherm but Im not sure if it works this way (I dont think so, since the q depends on initial concentration so I would need to "chop" the column into several smaler ones and calculate the initial concentration on each one of them)

Is my qustion clear? Im sorry if it sounds confusing, but I am confused and Im severly lacking experience with HPLC(especialy preparative HPLC)
Thanks for any advice or thoughts.

Sponsored Links