April 24, 2024, 07:13:56 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Embedded System for Temperature Measurement  (Read 2302 times)

Offline jovick

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Embedded System for Temperature Measurement
« on: January 29, 2015, 07:23:22 AM »
Hi,
    not sure if this is the correct section of the forum.. but I will give it a try.

I will be delivering a module called Microprocessors. Obviously it is not related to Chemistry but I need some ideas of real world applications involving a chemical process or reaction.

I have in mind to ask them to design and build and embedded system using a microcontroller (ARM7 LPC2119) which will measure temperatures of not more than 150°C @ interval of 10 sec, 30 sec and 1min for example. I was wondering wether you can suggest a real world application for example a frequently used chemical process or reaction where it is monitored by measuring temperature at the selected times. Any other ideas are welcome. :)

This task will encourage the student to make use of the ADC (Analog to Digital converter), interface LM35 temperature sensor, learn to use interrupts, use timers, and interface 16x2 LCD to the microcontroller.

Appreciate any tips and ideas,

thanks 

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Embedded System for Temperature Measurement
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 12:48:52 PM »
Hi jovick, welcome here!

There are so many processes where the temperature is controlled... One available to electrical engineers is the etching of printed circuits, where FeCl3 removes Cu, done lukewarm to go faster.

I chemical applications, protecting the sensor from the fluids is the biggest difficulty. Put it at the stub's outer face if possible.

Make measures frequently, at least one per second, just because a slower period is unbeareable for the experimenter.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 01:22:00 PM »
Process Control?

Offline jovick

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 04:45:26 AM »

That is a very suitable and attractive scenario ! I will ask for a periodic temperature measurement @1sec or something near. I will look further into this process and maybe include another timer to indicate with a small buzzer that the process is ready.

thanks a lot for your *delete me*

regards

Sponsored Links