April 25, 2024, 02:11:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: help with lab book  (Read 2040 times)

Offline shotgunwizard

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
help with lab book
« on: January 30, 2015, 08:26:54 PM »
For my lab book, I am supposed to fill out a conclusion of the experiment segment. The issue is, being that this is my first chemistry class I have no idea why zinc, ammonium nitrate, ammonium chloride, barium nitrate, and water catches on fire. Any help explaining the basics of why these salts, metals and water catches on fire would be great.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: help with lab book
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 07:29:07 AM »
Can you begin to piece together something that you recently learned in a class lecture?  Its a little odd, that a university class, would have an experiment where you just mix things at random, and get fire, with no background.  That's more of a "gee-wiz, lookit what I can do" -- meant more for Youtube than for a university class.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline shotgunwizard

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 11:33:51 AM »
I apologize I Should have clarified, It was a demonstration from the professor. unfortunately, there hasn't been much material covered since it was our first lab and second lecture.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 05:52:56 PM »
There may be something useful in your first two lectures, and any talk given before the experiment.  Again, there's nothing to be learned from a kooky demonstration -- you can't be expected to discover something about chemistry from this.  You could learn how to observe, and report your observations.  I have to suspect that's what's wanted.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links