March 28, 2024, 12:03:25 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: conductivity at end point  (Read 1543 times)

Offline alexanda

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
conductivity at end point
« on: January 31, 2015, 03:54:50 AM »
Hi guys I know this may be a silly question, but I cant figure out why the conductivity of electricity is amlost zero at the end point of a titration...simply because there are no mobile ions?

Btw conductivity of electricity depends on mobile ions or free electrons right?

Gracia!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: conductivity at end point
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 06:05:13 AM »
Conductivity in water depends solely on ions (hydrated electrons are pretty exotic).

Exact shape of the curve depends on the titration type. Sometimes it has a minimum at equivalence, but not zero.

Try to imagine what ions are present on what concentrations in the solution during titration. Remember, that conductivity of H+ and OH- is much larger than conductivity of any other ion.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline alexanda

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 12:41:35 AM »
Ok i get it
as there are almost the equal numbers of H+ and OH- ions at the end point, so the conductivity of the solution is the minimum
is that the explanation?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 03:51:31 AM »
It is not about them being equal, it is about the total - sum of their concentrations (actually a weighted sum).

Think about the concentration of both of these ions at pH 5 and 9 (before and after the endpoint). How many times their concentrations are larger than at pH 7?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links