April 24, 2024, 06:39:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dry matter content  (Read 1882 times)

Offline kerelu

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Dry matter content
« on: February 10, 2015, 11:13:48 AM »
Hi,

I am trying to find out the solid content of a suspension. I know this can easily be done by drying the suspension and recording the mass intermittently till there is no mass change. However, my suspension is in sulphuric acid. So my question is: can I dry a suspension containing sulphuric acid in an oven? Thanks.

Offline Zyklonb

• Mole Snacks: +30/-10
Re: Dry matter content
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 02:38:50 PM »
Well, yeah you could. Sulfuric acid has a very high boiling point though. If you have a torch or hotplate use that.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 03:02:12 PM »
Here is a Canadian mirror of an older version of the USP, available on-line.  The test for residue is in the National Formulary Monograph.  Briefly, like Zyklonb: said, you simply have to get the sulfuric acid hot enough, for long enough, to volatilize it away from any impurities.  The USP seems to think it can just go in the muffle furnace, once dry enough.  Seems like that would work, but I'd be sure it was mostly gone before I let someone put it int my workplace muffle furnace.  I wouldn't want residual sulfur trioxide vapor to hit the electric heating element.  Might work a few times, or maybe a few dozen times, but eventually, the wire will corrode, and then you're out a few thousand dollars.  Anyway, the link, check the relevant blue hyperlinks in the document if you need more info: http://www.pharmacopeia.cn/v29240/usp29nf24s0_m80000.html
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline kerelu

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 06:04:54 AM »
Thank you for your replies.

Sponsored Links