April 23, 2024, 11:58:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Magnesium citrate supplement  (Read 3935 times)

Offline FI4

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Magnesium citrate supplement
« on: February 10, 2015, 03:10:18 PM »
Hi, I bought this product with magnesium, zinc, B6 and copper and I notice one thing. They claim that only one capsule contains:
Vitamin B6 4.3 mg 307% - HCL Pyridoxine
Magnesium 500 mg 133%- Magnesium Citrate
Zinc 50 mg 500% - Mono L-Methionine
Copper 0.63 mg of 63% - Copper Bisglycinate

So, to deliver 500 mg of elemental magnesium you need 3125 mg magnesium citrate and I don't believe that this capsule contains all of that. What do you think? Is my suspicion reasonable? I'm no expert, I just search about Magnesium citrate and knows that contains only 16% of elemental magnesium. So my question is, can they manage somehow that and fit in only one capsule all that?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Magnesium citrate supplement
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 03:22:41 PM »
What does the tablet weigh?  You'll have to consider the weight of other components.  Yes, it doesn't look like it weighs 3+ grams, but maybe it does?  Are you supposed to take just one a day, or is it 3 x a day.  That's rare for vitamins, but it does occur.  You're correct that magnesium USRDA is in the mg amounts, I was suspecting it might have meant micrograms, but no that isn't the problem.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 03:23:38 PM »
Doesn't look completely impossible to me. Assuming length of the capsule to be 2.4 cm and the radius of 0.45 cm, I got around 1.5 mL volume. Taking into account mass of the citrate yields the density in the 2.1 g/mL range, doesn't look off for a powdered salt.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline FI4

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 11:19:52 AM »
Yes, I'm supposed to take only one capsule. I'm currently not able to weigh it, but in few days I'll post again with capsule weight and only powder weight.

Thank you Arkcon and Borek!

Offline FI4

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 03:06:45 PM »
Pill has 1230 mg. I think they failed with label on bottle and it's supposed to take 3 pills as most ZMA products. What do you think? Will then be okay dosage?

Sponsored Links