April 19, 2024, 01:11:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: VOC Emission Estimates and OSHA Exposure Limits  (Read 2377 times)

Offline bshields

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
VOC Emission Estimates and OSHA Exposure Limits
« on: February 13, 2015, 12:17:47 AM »
Hello!

This is my first time posting to a forum, but I could really use some help from some knowledgeable chemistry guys. It has been a long time since I have had Thermodynamics and Chemistry so this may be an easy one for you.

I am trying to estimate VOC emissions from a storage tank. For example, I have a storage tank 24' diameter x 30' in height. The tank is filled with Triethylamine. MSDS can be found here:

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9925315

I will be required to reduce VOC emissions by 90% through the use of a activated carbon canister. But I feel that I will not be able to emit 10% of the emission without exposing workers to an OSHA PEL. What I would like to do is estimate the worst case scenario of VOC emissions which I would assume would be filling this tank on the hottest day of the year from 20% full to 90% full. Assume the temperature is 93 degrees. Once we can identify the VOC emissions, I need to model how the vapor will disperse to ground level. Lets say I emit 10,000 ppm VOC from the outlet 30' in the air, I believe the vapor will greatly disperse before it reaches workers at the ground level. OSHA PEL will be 10 ppm. Tank will be loaded at a maximum on 300 gal/min. Outlet pipe is 8". Please let me know if you need any additional information and thank you for your help.

-Brent

Sponsored Links