April 26, 2024, 10:33:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Moisture determination using KFC and base temp formula ?  (Read 2112 times)

Offline DigitalS27

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Moisture determination using KFC and base temp formula ?
« on: February 18, 2015, 12:51:02 PM »
Hi guys,

I hope you can assist me. 

Our laboratory recently acquired a new Titration unit to determine moisture content in oil.

The unit is working excellently, but what I want to find out if a sample is tested today  in the morning and the same sample is tested at night there will be a different result as the temperature has an influence on the result (according to my understanding)

What I want to find out is there a formula to take the result from the Karl Fischer Titration unit, and convert the result to a constant temperature

In other words a formula to use a base temperature with the titration unit result and get an actual result ?  In this case the base temperature will be 20 deg celcius..

Sorry for the long post and any and all help will be appreciated.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Moisture determination using KFC and base temp formula ?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 03:16:41 PM »
Hmmm ... tricky.  Like most chemical reactions, the response can be temperature dependent.  One would hope one of two things, either the KF apparatus has an internal temperature probe to compensate for sample temperature, heat given off or consumed in the KF reaction, and ambient temperature differences.  Or that sample size is so mall that these effects are negligable.  Maybe you can try to test it with one sample, and heat and cool the reaction vessel, to see if these effects are significant?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links