April 26, 2024, 02:08:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Please help Identifying API  (Read 2327 times)

Offline vincecarter

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Please help Identifying API
« on: February 21, 2015, 02:37:21 PM »
Hello I am currently starting a weightloss product line and will be using Yohimbie HCL

However I am worried about the product quality and need a way to identify it.

I have read somewhere that a spectrometer can help? Does anyone have some help please.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Please help Identifying API
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 03:24:55 PM »
I'm going to pretend for a minute that you're a professional who's a little confused or inexperienced, and not someone cooking up something in their kitchen.  Because in the latter case we can't and won't help you at all.

Begin by reading the USP, here's a link:  http://www.pharmacopeia.cn/v29240/usp29nf24s0_m89420.html  Warning, that is an older version, you will not be permitted to make and sell pharmaceuticals with just that reference.  You will have to get the current version, and that can be expensive.  But then all aspects of an analytical lab.

As a professional, you should be able to follow the quoted procedure.  If you're not a professional, at least you're now acquainted with how complex this sort of thing is.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:11:25 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline vincecarter

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 05:26:45 PM »
Perhaps I did not explain myself properly.

We are trying to identify raw ingredients i.e yohimbie to ensure proper product is used.

Is there any techniques or machines that can identify raw ingredients such as caffeine etc?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 08:10:33 PM »
For manufacture of OTC and non-OTC consumer goods, it was routine for me to use current USP NF method to identify raw materials.  I would use some subset of the listed procedures or all of them, as best I could.  Or I would just ask the vendor to provide the CofA, and rely on that, and not perform the tests.  I have sometimes used the procedures direct from the USP NF, or sometimes, the method has been verified (note: not validated, that is a similar, not not exactly the same, concept.) 

Re-re-reading your posts, it appears you don't want to do raw materials testing, but want to assay the components in a mixture.  You can try to find a method that does that, or a procedure, or maybe use the USP NF methods for the raw material, if the other components don't interfere. 

I pretty much doubt there's a machine that gives you a useful answer.  You will have to develop, or ask someone to develop, or use another manufacturer's developed method to make these sorts of determinations.

Did you read the link I posted?  It lists a number of tests for this particular pharmaceutical.  Did you understand the tests?  If you need help to understand the terms, the blue hyperlinks take you to more detailed procedures.  Will these tests give you the answers you need?  If not, then why not?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links