April 23, 2024, 03:54:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electrolytic Cell Problem  (Read 2425 times)

Offline cvc121

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Electrolytic Cell Problem
« on: February 24, 2015, 01:56:33 AM »
Hi,

How do you determine the SOA (strongest oxidizing agent) and SRA (strongest reducing agent) for the species of an electrolytic cell? For example, if the species are Ca ion, F ion, and H2O, why is water both the SOA and SRA when Ca and F are found near the top and bottom of the Standard Reduction Tables. My guess is that since Ca and F are found near the top and bottom of the table, they are in fact the weakest oxidizing and reducing agents because we are dealing with electrolysis. Is this correct? So are the SOA's and SRA's found near the middle usually of the table usually? Also, do we have to make sure that we get negative net cell potential values since we are dealing with electrolysis?

Hope I made sense. All help is very much appreciated!

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Electrolytic Cell Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 03:06:17 AM »
I have never seen terms like SOA and SRA, so I have no idea how they are defined. Can you elaborate, please?

It may have something to do with the fact both Ca and F2 will react directly with water without waiting for other reagents. But that's just a wild guess.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline cvc121

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 06:40:05 PM »
In other words, what I am trying to say is how would you determine the half reactions at each electrode during electrolysis using the table of standard reduction potentials. For example, what is are the oxidation and reduction half reactions of the electrolysis of Al(OH)3?

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 04:24:02 AM »
To quote Reggie Perrin, "Those certainly are other words."

Sponsored Links