April 24, 2024, 01:28:57 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Private Chemistry Practice License  (Read 3473 times)

Offline Bushinryu

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Private Chemistry Practice License
« on: March 02, 2015, 10:29:39 AM »
Hi, everyone!

I have recently been thinking about that of possibly acquiring a chemistry certificate, or even an actual license to practice chemistry privately. A lot of people have this hobby, but as I know there are issues in some countries with the private practice of chemistry--and even that of simply owning laboratory glassware--I thought an overall "safe-sound" might be to acquire a chemistry certificate of some kind to at least show the proper authorities that one is not an amateur and knows exactly what one is doing, to put their minds at ease.

Also, the possibility of acquiring an actual license to practice is something I've heard of but been unable to find anything concrete on so far by searching online. Can anyone in here be of some help in this regard?

As far as a certificate in chemistry goes, an actual university/college degree is, regrettably, not an option as I'm 34 years old with a full time job, a family to provide for and everything else in between. So going back to school at such a "hardcore level" is not really possible. So if there are chemistry courses and such one can take to acquire a certificate, that would be what I'm looking for. While I understand that this would not at all equal a license or any "safety" in terms of legal repercussions from practicing chemistry in the privacy of one's home in various countries, it would definitely not hurt. We don't have many such issues here in Japan, but I always feel it's better to be safe than sorry.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Private Chemistry Practice License
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 11:58:30 AM »
So if there are chemistry courses and such one can take to acquire a certificate, that would be what I'm looking for.

How about Coursera? It's a website with free online courses from various institutions around the world.

https://www.coursera.org/

It offers some courses in chemistry (and all sorts of other things), and some of these courses have a "verified certificate" to go with them. Whether this certificate is really recognised is something I don't know.

I did the "Writing in the Sciences" course (Stanford University) about a year ago and found it very helpful and not too intense to do alongside a full time job.  The course load and quality will obviously vary depending on the instructors, but since it is free, if you don't like it you can just stop.

I hope that is of some help. I have no idea about licenses.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Private Chemistry Practice License
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 11:13:07 PM »
I don't think there is any such license to practice chemistry.

If you do it in your home you will be subject to the same rules & laws as the rest.

I don't think a degree or safety certificate will give you any additional legal rights.

Sponsored Links