March 29, 2024, 01:28:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Endothermic Reaction Rate Constant  (Read 3370 times)

Offline kyle106

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Endothermic Reaction Rate Constant
« on: March 04, 2015, 09:51:24 PM »
Hi,

So I have been trying to determine the reaction rate constant for the reaction of Barium Hydroxide Octahydrate and Ammonium Chloride (Ba(OH)2*8H20+2NH4Cl = BaCl2*2H20 + NH3 + 8H20). I have checked every online database I could find (NIST Kinetics, etc.) and have had no luck. Additionally, I have checked in the Perry Handbook and was not able to find anything in there either (I may have just missed it).

My background is in Mechanical Engineering, so this is a bit outside of my knowledge base. If someone happens to know where I can find this information, I would greatly appreciate the help. I am attempting to use COMSOL for some simulations, and obviously, I will need the appropriate forward rate constant of the reaction to get any meaningful results.

Thank you in advance for your help. I appreciate it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:03:33 PM by kyle106 »

Offline Irlanur

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-4
Re: Endothermic Reaction Rate Constant
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 02:48:15 AM »
In solution?

Offline kyle106

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 09:53:37 AM »
In solution?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but I don't think so. I am physically mixing granular Barium Hydroxide with granular Ammonium Chloride to produce solid barium chloride, ammonia gas, and water.

Offline Irlanur

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-4
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 09:21:07 AM »
Then good luck with finding reaction rate constants. You won't find any.

What do you want to simulate?

Offline unsu

• Mole Snacks: +8/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 02:37:00 PM »
It is not that easy.. A solution is a homogeneous mixture (one phase): this is straightforward. But when you mix two solids, the rate will strongly depend on the surface area of contact, on how rapidly you mix/stir the reactants, etc. And afterwards, the reactants will start dissolving in the water produced - so the conditions change, etc. I doubt you could find any information on the reaction rate for this system, it won't be reproducible. You can study your own system and consider all the factors.

Offline kyle106

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 04:14:14 PM »
It is not that easy.. A solution is a homogeneous mixture (one phase): this is straightforward. But when you mix two solids, the rate will strongly depend on the surface area of contact, on how rapidly you mix/stir the reactants, etc. And afterwards, the reactants will start dissolving in the water produced - so the conditions change, etc. I doubt you could find any information on the reaction rate for this system, it won't be reproducible. You can study your own system and consider all the factors.

I was afraid that might be the case. Thank you for your insight!

Sponsored Links