March 28, 2024, 11:22:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Elimination with 2 Bromide groups  (Read 1957 times)

Offline areiken

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Elimination with 2 Bromide groups
« on: March 06, 2015, 03:55:20 PM »
Hi all!

I've been doing some organic chemistry practice exams and happened across http://puu.sh/gpeeA/827c9c6d3c.png this question. 

Now, I know that the answer is http://puu.sh/gpezu/2bff95c91a.png this.  Up to now, in every elimination reaction I've dealt with it's a Hydrogen trans to the leaving group that supplies the electron for the double bond.  Because one Br is trans to the other, can it act similarly to an H and give its electron to the double bond after being attacked by the Iodide?

Also, based on I-, which is a weak base and good nucleophile, I reason it to be an Sn2 reaction.  However, the answer is the result of E2.  Is it because of how large the iodide is?

Maybe I haven't gotten this far yet, but I would appreciate some insight.

Offline OrgXemProf

• Mole Snacks: +17/-2
    • OrgXhemProf Home Page
Re: Elimination with 2 Bromide groups
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 04:54:34 PM »
Yes, this is an E2-type of elimination. The reactive conformation is that in which the two C-Br bonds are mutually trans, which sets them up for concerted elimination of Br2 via an anti, coplanar transition state. Iodide ion functions as a nucleophile to attack one of the bromine atoms, which at the time of reaction is polarized toward Br(delta+) [positive halogen, electrophilic; the leaving group is polarized toward Br(delta -)]. The dehalogenation reaction proceeds through a transition state analogous to that associated with concerted anti, coplanar E2 elimination. The products are the corresponding alkene, IBr [polarization I(delta +) Br(delta -)]and bromide ion.

For additional information see Goering, H. L.; Espy, H. H. J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 1955, 77. 5023-5026.

Hope this helps.

Offline areiken

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 09:51:34 PM »
Thanks for the *delete me*  Now, the question asked for the major product.  Iodide is a good nuleophile and weak base, and from what I've read this should favour Sn2 over E2.  Why is the E2 product the major one?

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 12:46:53 AM »
You need to look carefully at the electron movements in the mechanism and less attention to the term "E2 elimination". We often use E2-elimination to refer to a dehydrohalogenation. This is a different reaction. In this case iodide is an electron donor. The product will also contain an I3- ion. You would get the similar reaction if you did a reductive elimination with a dissolving metal.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links