April 20, 2024, 04:41:35 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How can I improve my understanding of chemistry?  (Read 3080 times)

Offline aram2189

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How can I improve my understanding of chemistry?
« on: March 18, 2015, 03:34:49 AM »
Or to put it another way, how can i take my understanding of chemistry from the undergraduate to the graduate level? I am a recent college graduate with a B.S. in Biochemistry and have recently started working in the private sector. Although I plan on returning to school in the near future I am hoping to use the time in between to improve my chemistry knowledge, both theoretical and laboratory techniques. How can i accomplish this? I am currently looking at free web courses offered online however they are limited. Any ideas or can someone offer a list of courses or books taught to all graduate level chemistry students?

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
Re: How can I improve my understanding of chemistry?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 10:55:24 AM »
Ok there are few points I can help you with:
a) Theoretical: get a textbook, preferably with problems. I like disconection approach by Warren but there are more - you can google "advanced organic chemistry" and you will see
b) practical: Lab work, there is no way around it. I mean reading that for crystalization you need solvent in which is your compound highly solube at high temperatures and unsoluble at low temperatures is nice but finding that solvent to recrystalize your new compound could be rather difficult. So lab work it is, preferably doing as many different reactions as you can.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: How can I improve my understanding of chemistry?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 11:23:01 AM »
I like to pay attention to technical seminars, often offered by manufacturers, as sources for learning.  Try to Google to see what's offered locally to you.  I don't really have a good resource for finding seminars besides Google.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links