March 29, 2024, 06:49:35 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Intuition fails me: Should a slurry pipe be small or large to avoid plugging?  (Read 3781 times)

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Say you are pumping a slurry. Say, salt crystals in water. Perhaps 10% of the slurry is solids.

Now choking / plugging is always something you want to avoid. My naive intuition says use a large pipe size to avoid choking.

OTOH, for a certain flowrate a smaller pipe means a larger velocity. So that would be less likely to plug up.

What's the right way to think about this?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Perhaps a turbulent flow is the way to go here, keep the stuff in suspension. So higher velocity and perhaps a nitrogen blast to maintain turbulence?
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Bulk flow is more of a chemical engineering question, we'll see how our experts weigh in.  My knee jerk reaction is that you'll want a wider pipe.  Flow is essentially zero at the inner surface for liquids, I have to guess the same or worse for a slurry.  So you want a wider tube so there is flow.  Unless the slurry is a non-Newtonian fluid.  But in that case, I have no idea at all. ;D
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
Bulk flow is more of a chemical engineering question, we'll see how our experts weigh in.  My knee jerk reaction is that you'll want a wider pipe.  Flow is essentially zero at the inner surface for liquids, I have to guess the same or worse for a slurry.  So you want a wider tube so there is flow.  Unless the slurry is a non-Newtonian fluid.  But in that case, I have no idea at all. ;D

It shouldn't be non Newtonian. What I worry most is solids settling out. It is a settling slurry. Make a pipe too large and essentially you have a settling problem.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Knowing virtually nothing at all about this subject, I can still add that this might be a situation where there is be a tradeoff between the two factors and the optimum situation is somewhere in the middle.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
I know a company that pumps ~1m3 per minute of a 65% solids slurry through an 11inch underground pipe for an uninterrupted 56miles.  The replacement cost from the last time they blocked it 10-15years ago was over £1M per mile. 

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
I know a company that pumps ~1m3 per minute of a 65% solids slurry through an 11inch underground pipe for an uninterrupted 56miles.  The replacement cost from the last time they blocked it 10-15years ago was over £1M per mile.

Thank my stars that my slurry is 5 to 10% my distance is a 100 ft or so. :)

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
I thought you had to transport it further!
Only 100 feet! You should not have a problem. Make sure its all downhill.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Sponsored Links