March 29, 2024, 10:13:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dehydrogenate palm oil?  (Read 12187 times)

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
Re: Dehydrogenate palm oil?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 08:30:06 PM »

Just a bizarre thought... Palm oil is reportedly the cheapest one but is quite unhealthy, with a proportion of saturated fatty acids worse than even pork fat.

An interesting topic. I recall Gary Taubes writing a book critical of the data leading to the low fat diet. I also recall an episode of 60 Minutes in which epilepsy patients were fed diets with high fat levels. You can find some interesting data in wikipedia on trans fatty acids. It is interesting to see how food manufacturers are able to adjust different fat contents for different purposed.

I'm not going to go looking for the studies condemning saturated and unsaturated fats, but I am going to be a little skeptical unless someone shows really good and definitive data. I am guessing a diet somewhere between high and low fat may be just right.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline Darryl1

• Mole Snacks: +5/-0
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 11:50:08 PM »
There are different specialty starches out there that can mimic the mouthfeel of fat.  I get to play with them all the time for a living :)

I would be skeptical too about most studies out there when it comes to nutrition.  After digging through many of them over the years, I find most of them to either make false conclusions or the correlation is so weak that nothing can even be concluded without any sort of follow up.  However there are a lot of good studies out there do a good job of raising questions about assumptions that require further study.

My own personal view on how much fat one should consume (or nutrient in general) is that it's going to vary with each individual based on their genetics and their gut flora.  I mean you give some overweight individuals a low fat diet, they lose weight, you do that to others and not only do they not lose weight, they are always hungry and get diabetes.

-d

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 06:48:41 PM »
Here are observations made on a cohort comprising me and myself, followed my my poorly substantiated ramblings - you choose how much credibility you give them.
  • After eating much unsaturated fat, like the sauce for an artichoke, I get within 1-2 hours a layer of fluid oil on my skin, especially at the had and ears;
  • After eating much bad fat, like cheese or sausage, I get acne within hours, again at the had and ears.
So could the process be as simple as:
  • The fats our skin exudes reflect, in amount and composition, what we recently ingested;
  • When these fats are thick, they clog the pores and build acne?
Nice: after eating a pizza with cheese and salami, if I swallow two teaspoons of sunflower oil, I don't get acne.

Opinions, observations, experience? Even dissent maybe?

----------

More ramblings.

Thick fats like cheese or bacon seem poorly soluble in thin fats like olive oil, so if ingested in separated meals, the thick fats will deposit in the arteries and clog them, while thin fats won't dissolve them afterwards.

But if ingested at the same meal, they will swap their fatty acids in the stomach (do they?) to build a set of new fats, rather fluid, that don't clog the arteries.

At least, this is consistent with the so-called "Mediterranean diet". Having lived in Madrid, I testify that Spaniards ingest big amounts of chorizo, queso and jamón, not outweighed by olive oil. But the difference is that they eat significant light fats at most meals, be it over bread or as cooking oil.

The discussion is lighted...

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2019, 01:31:30 PM »
Varied French sources keep claiming that some wine consumption reduces the incidence of heart attacks. They cite an unspecified "american scientific study" unknown outside France, but stop short of claiming "only true French wine".

So is it just the usual disinformation of the population meant to increase the tax yield and the exports, reduce the imports, and save on the pensions? Maybe not, after all.

Within the logic of my message of 29 July 2017 here, which may very well be flawed, ethanol in the stomach together with triglycerides would catch some fatty acids, leaving less on the glycerine. Glycerol mono and diesters (or possibly chlorides) would be more runny than triglycerides, while ethanol esters are thin anyway. That would avoid thick triglycerides that clog the arteries. Little ethanol by mass would suffice.

That's very much the process to make biodiesel: saponify the too thick palm oil, then make runny esters with methanol.

If ethanol is the efficient component in wine, good Chilean wine will work equally well. Or sake. Or some non-poisonous small mono- or diol.

Eating sugar or their polyol ersatz at the same meal as triglycerides would be unsound, not because they catch some fatty acids, but because they make a bit of much worse esters.

Sponsored Links