April 24, 2024, 07:55:49 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Who wants to help me brainstorm a LAB?  (Read 2246 times)

Offline sbf5

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Who wants to help me brainstorm a LAB?
« on: March 26, 2015, 04:17:44 PM »
Salutations, chemists and students! I come to you today with a request. Allow me to explain my position.

My AP Chemistry teacher has recently informed our class that rather than taking a final exam, we will be designing and executing our own lab experiment! However, should it require anything time-consuming or difficult to obtain, he needs to know our proposals as soon as possible.

I am looking to work with some sort of uncommon metal or metalloid because I find them so interesting. I'm talking about anything from tellurium to lutetium to praseodymium to vanadium. (Please: no iron, magnesium, zinc, or copper. I'm sick of those.)

However, there has to be some achievable purpose in this lab, which is a horrible shame because I simply want to work with unusual chemical elements.

So, I ask you: do you have any ideas for a lab experiment involving some variety of an interesting element I could use? Tungsten or antimony would almost certainly be my first choice, so if, perchance, there's anything you know of involving one of these elements, I would most love to hear it.

Additionally, my teacher informed us that if our labs cannot be completed in a typical classroom setting, there's a chance we could use the equipment at a local university.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

~sbf5~

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
Re: Who wants to help me brainstorm a LAB?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 05:19:02 PM »
what would the target of your experiment be? prepare some "demanding" substance ? measure some difficult-to-get properties ? have some showeffect with your reaction? (...) etc.
... or are you really up to something "new" , an achievement nobody has reached before, go where no man has been before ?

:rarrow:  pls. be a little more specific about the framework of your task

regards

Ingo

There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline sbf5

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 05:54:48 PM »
I am a high school AP Chemistry student who has to design a lab experiment. We just need to observe something or make something happen. It's not anything extreme. It should be akin to the average high school chemistry lab. I just want it to involve an unusual element.

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 07:18:06 PM »
hmm... so, you're simply looking for proposals?
something with an element like vanadium, for example?

so, here's mine:

let's try to make them oxidation states of vanadium visible, shall we?

you prepare
- a solution of sodiumvanadate NaVO3 in water, add a little sulfuric acid to it. thus, you'll have some VO2+(aq.) around, in an acidified matrix
 :rarrow: pale-yellow solution , ox. state of V : +5

now you add some zinc (which, of course , immediately will start to produce hydrogen in statu nascendi)

colours will change:

VO2+ (aq.) , blue  , ox. state of V : +4

[V(H2O)6]3+, green, ox. state of V : +3

[V(H2O)6]2+, violet, ox. state of V : +2

now, this was the reduction pathway (except of elementary vanadium, that is). what about the other direction, shall we try to oxidize V (+5) further? (you might wish to ask whilst the demonstration). shall we add some known oxidant, like for example H2O2 , to acidified starting material?

... and then you again take some sodiumvanadate, acidified by some sulfuric acid, and add some drops of hydrogenperoxide. and:

intense bright red !

( of the complex [V(H2O)2(O2)2]2- . and vanadium still is plus 5... )

... and then you might wish to have a discussion why vanadium can't be further oxidized than + 5 , and how colour changes at times might be misleading to wrong conclusions, as a lot may happen ( like , for example, complex formation) besides of redox , with vanadium

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Sponsored Links