March 28, 2024, 06:28:10 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: UV transmissive synthetic polymer fibre  (Read 2764 times)

Offline jschmidt

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
UV transmissive synthetic polymer fibre
« on: March 26, 2015, 05:11:14 PM »
Hi guys, first post. Hope this is in the right place.

I need some literature regarding the nature of synthetic polymer fibres and why they absorb or don't absorb UV.

I know that most polymers have a tendency to absorb UV, however others do not (PDMS for ex).

Specifically I want to know about the materials that are most commonly used in the synthetic fibres that comprise our modern clothing. The most common being the polymers nylon, polyester and acrylic, and the copolymer spandex. I understand these all to be relatively good absorbers ie poor transmitters of UV.

However I am also aware of high UV transmission acrylic sheets (trade name Acrylate). These are used in tanning salons and green houses.

Why aren't there any UV transparent fibres and fabrics? Clearly there is a massive commercial application for such materials so I can only assume there are physical and chemical limits preventing the manufacture of such a material. Can anyone explain why and if possible cite some literature.

Thanks very much

J

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: UV transmissive synthetic polymer fibre
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 05:58:22 AM »
Hi JSchmidt, welcome here!

I had a look at polymer sheets for want of fibre data - less than perfect. Several plain polymers do transmit significant UV. However, some are destroyed by the UV, or are designed to protect other materials, hence have additives to absorb the UV.

Generally, beware that polymers are extremely varied, they change from one producer to an other, and for one producer, every name detail counts.

Example with Plexiglass (Pmma, acrylic):
http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Plastics_Library/UV-Ultra-Violet-Filtering-Plexiglass

Then you have materials normally not used as a fabric: Tpx, Pctfe, Etfe... No fibre possible? Glide too easily? Too expensive?
http://www.goodfellowusa.com/larger-quantities/polymers/tpx-characteristics/

Additional difficulties for fabrics and clothes:
- Fibres diffuse light. This backscatters some light, and helps also absorption.
- You want coloured clothes? Dyes that absorb visible light but not UV must be difficult.

Sponsored Links