April 25, 2024, 07:35:53 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Thermodynamic or kinetic ?  (Read 3603 times)

Offline GeLe5000

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Thermodynamic or kinetic ?
« on: March 28, 2015, 07:16:46 AM »
Hello.

Can someone confirm my idea that the following sentence can be misleading.

A + B ----------> C + H2O (endergonic in standard conditions)

"In an aqueous environment, like in living systems, the exergonic direction, thermodynamically privileged, is hydrolysis." (translated from "Construire une cellule" Ch. De Duve, = "Blueprint for a cell. The nature and origin of life")

It doesn't mean that in the presence of a large amount of water, very little of C will be produced for thermodynamic reasons. On the contrary, it's for kinetic reasons, a water "mass effect" that will strongly reverse the reaction through hydrolysis :
vreverse = k x (D) x (H2O) is huge compared to vforward.

Thank you for your ideas.

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
Re: Thermodynamic or kinetic ?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 09:40:00 PM »
I can't confirm.

"endergonic" clearly is a thermodynamic statement, not a kinetic one.

furthermore, I think your reasoning is wrong: kinetics in, for example ,  esterification / hydrolysis is of second order, if memory serves. so, speed will be proportional to the concentration of water to the power of one at best, meaning: proportional to approx. 55 mol/L
looks like a huge number to you? well, you forgot 'bout the k here, which well will reach from very huge numbers to the very minuscule, compared to "55", and easily might overcompensate anything of influence those 55 M might have to offer.

so , you can't judge a total reaction speed by cherrypicking the isolated influence of just one component: by chance, this might give you realities results, but more often than not, you will fail.

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline GeLe5000

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 02:36:09 AM »
Thank you very much.

I conclude that I must keep exploring the literature in order to understand (perhaps) why it's so often mentioned that in the presence of water (55 M/L), a condensation reaction is not feasible for thermodynamic reasons. Because what seems strange to me is the fact that this concentration doesn't appear in the calculation of Keq = (C) / (A) x (B). Thus ΔG is independent of water concentrations.

Offline magician4

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 09:09:26 AM »
(...) is the fact that this concentration doesn't appear in the calculation of Keq = (C) / (A) x (B).
I don't know how you possibly could come to this expression.
for example, a well known constant is about the esterification of acetic acid with ethanol:

C2H5OH + CH3COOH  ::equil:: CH3COOC2H5 + H2O

where of course the water does show up in the respective LMA expression:

K ≈ 4 = [CH3COOC2H5] * [H2O] / ( [C2H5OH] * [CH3COOH] )

hence, in a waterbased environment, with let's say c0 (ethanol, acetic acid) = 0.1 M and water at a ~ constant 55 M , you'd have like 7.2 * 10-4 M of ester in equilibrium

as you see, this reaction is feasible - though the net gain is small.*)

However, talking about the origin of life  / the "chemical evolution" part , all these considerations about condensation at / near room temperature might well be beside the point, as for example the Miller/Urey experiment teaches us.
 :rarrow: It may well be that those fundamental molecules of life didn't come into being in a lukewarm pool of water, but with thunder and lightning, erupting volcano's lava meeting the sea, and in the superheated brine in black smokers, instead.

... and this changes everything

Thus ΔG is independent of water concentrations.
as shown above, it isn't

regards

Ingo

*)
however, at times even small concentrations might well be high enough to create a protective environment. think about soap, and how little soap is required to produce micelles
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline GeLe5000

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 10:37:34 AM »
Thank you again.

I must say that it's the first time that I see the calculation of a product's concentration implying the concentration of water (0.00072 = 4 / 55 x 0.1 x 0.1).

In biochemistry, they say for example :

glucose + Pi --------> glucose-6-P + H2O

K = glucose-6-P / (glucose) x (Pi) = 0.0039

"Notice that H2O is not included in this expression, as its concentration (55,5 M) is assumed to remain unchanged by the reaction" (Lehninger's "Principles of Biochemistry")

I'll try to find if H2O concentration is actually implied in the calculation of 0.0039, if the other concentrations at equilbrium are available somewhere.

It would mean that's not written but taken into account in the result. It's a surprise...

Offline magician4

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 11:58:31 AM »
you can "include" one constant ( here: the conc. of water, 55 M ) in the original  LMA constant

(as we often do with Ka, Kb values for waterbased solutions, for example)

hence , the K given in that "Lehninger expression" in question is not the K that belongs to the "full" ( i.e. including water) LMA expression, but a modified one instead:

K(Lehninger) = K (LMA) * (55 M)-1

regards

Ingo
(Douglas Adams)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 12:09:24 PM »
It would mean that's not written but taken into account in the result. It's a surprise...

No surprise here, actually it is a standard procedure in the case of diluted water solutions.

It is so standard most people don't realize they do it all the time.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline GeLe5000

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 09:55:09 AM »
I understand.

Thank you for your help and the weblinks.

Sponsored Links