April 25, 2024, 11:32:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Could gamma waves ionize noble gases?  (Read 2675 times)

Offline traceurkid

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Could gamma waves ionize noble gases?
« on: March 30, 2015, 11:59:12 AM »
I calculated the energy of a gamma wave with the equation: E= hc / λ to be about 1.99200e-13 joules. I then looked up the ionization energy of neon, and its first ionization energy was 2080.7 kJ·mol−1 (From Wikipedia). I divided that ionization energy by 6.022*1023 to find the ionization energy for just one atom of Neon. It was 3.455e-18 joules.. Much lower than the energy a gamma wave has.

So, I ask, could we use gamma waves to ionize noble gases and make compounds with them?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Could gamma waves ionize noble gases?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 01:20:31 PM »
I suppose gamma rays can ionize noble gasses, but then again, you can ionize them in a tube with an electric arc tube, that's how "neon lights" work.  I don't think just because they're ionized, that stable compounds have to form, otherwise, 'neon lights' wouldn't work.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline traceurkid

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 02:13:39 PM »
Alright thanks, I didn't know that the noble gases were actually ionized in neon lights

Offline traceurkid

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 02:59:39 PM »
As a follow-up question, why don't the gases form compounds to get a full valence shell?

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 04:20:23 PM »
As a follow-up question, why don't the gases form compounds to get a full valence shell?

H2 + Cl2 :rarrow: 2HCl

2H2 + O2 :rarrow: 2H2O

What is wrong about these examples?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 07:47:33 AM »
Alright thanks, I didn't know that the noble gases were actually ionized in neon lights

I'm going to agree on principal, though I actually don't know whether they ionize or not.

Hydrogen emits visible light with electronic emissions between n = 2,3,4... A black body produces light at higher energies, but the electromagnetic emissions continue asymptotically toward zero. Therefore I conclude that a visible or invisible emission needn't indicate an ionization event.

Back to the point, it would seem that more than sufficient energy is present to ionize some elements, including noble gases. The ease and abundance of the ionization will depend on the element. If we took the second row elements (Li...F, Ne), which would be the easiest to knock an electron off of it to produce a cation? Which the most difficult? If an electron were dislodged from fluorine, for example, would it be more likely to capture an electron from another element or to share it? The answer is going to depend on the other element. What if it were lithium or neon?
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links