March 28, 2024, 04:34:54 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Does nucleophile attack the carbonyl carbon or deprotonate the alpha carbon?  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Lo.Lee.Ta.

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
How do I know if the nucleophile would attack the carbonyl carbon or deprotonate the alpha carbon?

Someone else has tried to ask this question on a different website, but I don't think the answer was satisfactory... :/
I would like to intuitively understand why something else is not the product instead.

It doesn't much sense to say that forming a hydrate, for instance, is not synthetically useful- and that's why it doesn't happen.

This is where the question was originally asked:
http://www.coursesaver.com/showthread.php?3890-How-do-I-know-if-the-nucleophile-would-attack-the-carbonyl-carbon-or-the-alpha-hydrogen

If I have a ketone + an OH-, it seems like either a hydrate or an enolate could result.

If I have a ketone + -OCH3, it seems like either an acetal or an enolate could result.

How am I supposed to know what happens in these situations...?

Thanks SO much! :)

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
It doesn't much sense to say that forming a hydrate, for instance, is not synthetically useful- and that's why it doesn't happen.

It's not that it doesn't happen, it does, the thing to understand is that it is reversible. If hydration is not a step in a pathway that leads to a stable product, then it is unproductive.

If you were to treat a ketone with Na18OD in D218O - i.e. aqueous sodium hydroxide with isotopically labelled O and H, you would see incorporation of 18O in the carbonyl (via hydration-dehydration) and D incorporation at the α-position (via deprotonation/deuteration).

If I have a ketone + an OH-, it seems like either a hydrate or an enolate could result.

Both occur, and both are reversible. The result of each will usually only be apparent if they are steps in productive pathways.

If I have a ketone + -OCH3, it seems like either an acetal or an enolate could result.

A hemiacetal, not an acetal. Again reversible. Non-cyclic hemiacetals are usually not stable enough to be isolated.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
How do I know if the nucleophile would attack the carbonyl carbon or deprotonate the alpha carbon?

Also, somewhat linked, is there not a confusion here?

Deprotonation is related to acid-base behaviour, rather than nucleophilic behaviour. In many cases nucleophilicity is  linked to basic behaviour but not always.

Sponsored Links