March 28, 2024, 06:12:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why does bacteria produce toxins?  (Read 6794 times)

Offline noor123

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Why does bacteria produce toxins?
« on: April 02, 2015, 07:52:33 AM »
What are some genetic reasons why bacteria produce toxins?

I know its to be able to survive and cause the disease, but what are the genetic reasons?

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +162/-47
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Why does bacteria produce toxins?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 08:02:16 AM »
The compounds which are produced probably important for the bacteria to live or survive. But for other  creatures like animals or human being its probably toxic.  There is no genetic back ground behind.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 08:22:11 AM »
Like Hunter2: implied, this is a poorly worded question.  "Genetics" is never a reason, its just a method.  So you're going to have to write a clearer question, if you want a more complete answer, or maybe question the person who wrote this question for you as to what they really mean.  Certainly, some toxins may improve survival of some bacteria, and natural selection will select for those genetic changes, but that's only one effect, its not a reason, and there really aren't other reasons.

Pay attention to the Merovingian in the Matrix:Reloaded.  He's a jerk, but what he says does make sense.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR3fSL9WMdg
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline noor123

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 07:00:49 PM »
Right, hmm... well the question is given by my teacher.. and the more exact wordings are : Give examples of different types of genetic reasonings/explanations there are for why bacteria produces toxins.

Offline Darryl1

• Mole Snacks: +5/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 11:41:29 PM »
"Genetic" doesn't make any sense.
I think "adaptive" would make more sense.
I mean a genetic reason would be that there is a gene in the DNA that is the code for a toxin that a bacterium produces.  The toxin helps it survive.

-d

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 02:40:04 AM »
Here is a very new review which may give you some hints. Note it refers to animals and their adaptation towards bacterial toxins. But it does provide an insight into the battle between bacteria and mammals. It does not mention genetics but it is an interesting read.

Cantley, A. M., & Clardy, J. (2015). Animals in a bacterial world: opportunities for chemical ecology. Natural Product Reports, 00, 1–5. doi:10.1039/C4NP00141A
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline dave14

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 02:42:17 AM »
Bacterial toxins are bacterial waste products. Bacteria eat and excrete. It would be much better for bacteria to cause no disturbance, because you wouldn't have to kill them. In a certain way, bacteria seem to use their excretions as weapons against immune cells and body tissue. But bacteria can't think! The ones that survive are the ones that developed a gene mutation for, let's say, elastase secretion. Immune cells secrete elastase to destroy the elastin holding together the individual bacterium.

After a while, the bacteria began secreting elastase to destroy the elastin in immune cells. The lungs are replete with elastin, because they require elasticity, also called, compliance. So, elastase-secreting bacteria can cause pneumonia. The immune cells and the bacteria are firing elastase at each other, and the lung tissue is caught in the crossfire.   

Offline Irlanur

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-4
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 03:59:50 AM »
Bacterial toxins are bacterial waste products.

That's way too general and doesn't even grasp a tiny piece of the complicated ecological functions bacteria have.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 06:23:45 AM »
I wonder if the question wants you to compare against bacteria that are not toxic to other forms of life.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gut_flora

Sounds like the course is currently discussing evolutionary genetics when this question was asked.

Offline pinke

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 12:43:08 AM »
Bacterial toxins are their primary virulence factors which helps microbes to invade the host, to escape the host immune system, to protect themselves in the host body, to create favourable environment for their multiplication by feeding on host, finally to cause the disease / to weaken the host.

Sponsored Links