April 25, 2024, 12:10:45 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Wedge and dash diagram help.  (Read 4522 times)

Offline Chirality

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Wedge and dash diagram help.
« on: April 14, 2015, 01:21:01 PM »
I am having a difficult time drawing molecules using the wedge and dash notation, I have looked at a few websites and books but they don't really give a systematic way of drawing them other then mentioning two lines in the planer must be together and the wedge and dash must be together.

Is there any tips you can recommended on how to draw them? As I've seen so many different versions of the same molecule been drawn different, which is due to the rotation from what I understand. If this is the case, does that mean as long as I make the two lines in the planer together and the wedge and dash together anything I draw should be technically OK?

For example the first image drawn is a popular representation of Methane, the one next to it was my attempt at drawing Propane, is it right?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Wedge and dash diagram help.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 08:20:06 AM »
Is there any tips you can recommended on how to draw them?

Yes - keep the bond angles consistent and always place in-plane bonds at 120° angles.

For example the first image drawn is a popular representation of Methane, the one next to it was my attempt at drawing Propane, is it right?

No, see attached
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links