Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ecamsule  (Read 2336 times)

Offline thelongwayhome

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ecamsule
« on: April 17, 2015, 02:25:18 PM »
Hi there

I have very basic knowledge of chemistry. I would like to find out what the origins of terephthalylidene dicamphor sulfonic acid (aka Ecamsule) are. It is used in a brand of sun creams to absorb UVA rays. I have allergies to colophonium and Balsum of Peru and I am wondering if 'dicamphor' would mean that the compound is derived from Camphor - colophonium. Apologies if this is a stupid question, I just don't want to buy sun cream which I am at risk of having an allergic reaction to.

Freya  :-*

Offline TheUnassuming

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-1
Re: Ecamsule
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 06:33:31 PM »
Structurally it carries the core camphor scaffold. 
Colophonium and Balsum of Peru are not camphor though.
When in doubt, avoid the Stille coupling.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
Re: Ecamsule
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 08:57:51 AM »
I am going to guess that companies selling sunscreens either have a lot of knowledge or seek a lot of knowledge about allergic reactions. I doubt your genetic makeup is so unique that your reaction would be any different that someone in the general population. In that case, just look up allergic reactions to sunscreens, for example, see http://allergies.about.com/od/contactdermatitis/a/sunscreens.htm. You may also find balsum of Peru is among the most active allergens.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links