April 25, 2024, 02:43:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Trying to Recall a Word That I Forgot  (Read 1736 times)

Offline SimpleMan

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Trying to Recall a Word That I Forgot
« on: April 18, 2015, 03:32:36 AM »
I'm trying to think of a specific word that I came across in my organic lab class a few semesters ago.  We were doing structure elucidation using TLC, melting temp, etc...and somewhere I read a word that I had never seen before and I'm pretty sure it's a word used primarily in chemistry.  The definition of the word is something like this: a compound or chemical that is strongly thought or suspected to have a particular identity/structure but that requires identification procedures to confirm that identity/structure.  And I can't remember if it's a noun or an adjective.  If it's an adjective, the closest synonyms that I can think of are tentative and suspected.  If used in a sentence it would be like, "Identification methods were used to confirm the identity of the ________ product."  If it's a noun, the closest synonyms I can think of are candidate and suspect.  If used in a sentence it would be like, "Identification methods were used to confirm the identity of the _______."  I'm trying so hard to remember what this word is but it's just not coming to me.  I feel like it maybe starts with an "a" or a "t" or has those letters in it.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Trying to Recall a Word That I Forgot
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 04:57:54 AM »
Putative?
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline SimpleMan

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 10:30:51 AM »
THAT'S IT!!!  Oh man, thank you so much!!!  It was bothering me so much that I couldn't think of it.  You made my day, man!!!  Thanks!!!

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 01:34:44 PM »
Haha, no problem
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links