March 28, 2024, 05:26:57 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: method for production of HOCl sterilization solution from saline  (Read 2624 times)

Offline jdeirmendjian

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out an easy and cost-efficient way of making a weak HOCl solution from isotonic or hypertonic saline. The end product desired would be between .0025% and .0001% HOCl, and would have to not possess potentially harmful or irritating levels of toxic by products of contaminants. Here are my questions:

1. Can I use a simple AC/DC wall plug power supply? If so, amps and volts?
2. What would make for good cathode and anode materials, so as to resist corrosion and keep the solution non-toxic?
3. Can I use a simple pH meter to test for HOCl content on the basis of acidity alone?
4. Will an unbaffled galvanic cell do the job, or is a partition necessary? If the latter, why?

Please feel free to avail me with whatever level of technical knowledge you feel is appropriate. I'm approaching this from a primarily practical standpoint, as a person who has passed both high school Chemistry and the Chemistry CLEP exam. I'm not an ace by any means, but I'm certainly able to understand some stuff, and would relish the opportunity to learn more.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: method for production of HOCl sterilization solution from saline
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 08:19:34 AM »
Could could just purchase one of these devices from a quick Google search:  https://www.google.com/search?q=hypochlorite+generator&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline jdeirmendjian

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: method for production of HOCl sterilization solution from saline
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 01:21:23 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for chiming in. I'm reluctant to do anything like that, because 1) none of those generators are even remotely worth it in terms of parts, etc., and 2) I found out today that for my application, I need to prevent the buildup of NaOCl in the anolytic portion of the reaction.

Maybe you can point out an applied eletrochemistry reference text, wherein the various problems associated with industrial mfg. of HOCl for its varied applications are discussed at length? 

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62

Sponsored Links