April 23, 2024, 12:03:17 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ionic Equation Question  (Read 4972 times)

Offline kverge

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ionic Equation Question
« on: April 27, 2015, 02:49:27 AM »
The question is: Aqueous Chlorine is added to a solution of aluminum bromide in a single replacement reaction which forms to precipitate and bromine liquid.

The equation I got is: 3Cl2(aq)+2AlBr3(aq) --> 3Br2(l)+2AlCl3

What I don't know is if the last part (2AlCl3) is a solid or an aqueous solution. I need to know in order to write an ionic equation and I have no idea how to tell.

Thanks.

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Ionic Equation Question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 02:59:05 AM »
Everythingis in liquid.

The basic reaction is Cl2 + 2 Br- => Br2 + 2 Cl-

Aluminium is not affected and stays as Al3+

What can happen is that a Bromo or chloro or mixed complex is formed.  [AlClnBrm]-, n = 0 to 4, m = 4-n

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 03:15:44 AM »
Everythingis in liquid.

Which is a very misleading way of answering the question, as instead of helping to differentiate between (l) and (aq) it only confuses things further.

What I don't know is if the last part (2AlCl3) is a solid or an aqueous solution.

You started with two water solutions, you have enough water to keep all ionic substances dissolved (unless they are weakly soluble, but AlCl3 is well soluble). Bromine is a liquid. Everything else is in the form of water solution, so (aq).

Whether the Br2 will drop out as a liquid from the water solution depends on the concentrations of all substances present, it is not guaranteed you will see liquid bromine here (actually I am not convinced you will see it at all).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline kverge

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 07:22:33 PM »
Thank you for the *delete me*

Sponsored Links