April 26, 2024, 03:47:53 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Stille Coupling  (Read 3585 times)

Offline poorGRADstudent

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Stille Coupling
« on: May 01, 2015, 09:25:48 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question regarding one of my reactions. I recently performed a stille reaction and it worked great. The only issue was that it seemed almost like some of the Pd cat. was traveling through the silica. Very strange I know. Most of my compound came off of the column fine except for the last few fractions I collected, which was this thick brown liquid. Also, when I was running the column instead of an even band traveling down the column it was more of a line streaking down. On TLC there was no streaking. Any ideas what this brown stuff is co-eluting with my compound? Thanks for the help in advance!!

Few side notes:
-Reaction was done with Pd(PPh3)4, in dioxane under Ar
-Workup was aq. KF and EtOAc
-All solvent was removed and residue was loaded on silica before the column
-Solvent system was 4:1 Hex/EtOAc

Offline TheUnassuming

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-1
Re: Stille Coupling
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 07:51:59 AM »
Tetrabutyltin complexes everything and makes them streak and elute in very undesirable ways.  Triphenylphosphine can also make purification a pain.  For my compounds I've usually needed to run multiple columns to get spectroscopically pure product.
When in doubt, avoid the Stille coupling.

Offline poorGRADstudent

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 11:22:59 AM »
Tetrabutyltin complexes everything and makes them streak and elute in very undesirable ways.  Triphenylphosphine can also make purification a pain.  For my compounds I've usually needed to run multiple columns to get spectroscopically pure product.

Fortunately, the fractions I collected were pure (by NMR) and equated to approx. 60% yield, which is fine with me. Honestly, I would be fine never doing another stille coupling again.

Offline clarkstill

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-4
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 10:09:36 AM »
A colleague found this method to be very helpful, although his problem was removal of Bu3SnI, not the palladium catalyst.

http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleLanding/2010/CC/c0cc01328e#!divAbstract

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 10:14:03 AM »
A tip from an old friend was to partition between acetonitrile/hexane to remove tin residues.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Sponsored Links