April 25, 2024, 05:13:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: synthesis schiff base  (Read 2619 times)

Offline ikakurnia

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
synthesis schiff base
« on: May 04, 2015, 07:39:15 AM »
i do synthesis schiff base from nitro fenol with dimethylamine benzaldehyde with one pot procedure, it doesnt work. i used Fe/HCl, and ethanol as solvent. then reflux in 65 celcius for 4.5 hours. Base on GC-MS analysis, the result didnt as expected, not form schiff base. anyone know why?
thank you

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: synthesis schiff base
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 09:03:12 AM »
Look at the general structure of a Schiff base (Wikipedia etc.).

There is a good reason why dimethylamine will not work...
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline clarkstill

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-4
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 12:25:25 PM »
I think the idea is to form the aniline in situ by reduction and use that to form the imine? I'm guessing the dimethylamine is there to generate the benzaldehyde-derived iminium species as a better electrophile for reaction with the aniline?

Ikakurnia: if I were you, I'd pre-make/buy the aniline, just to be sure the reduction step is proceeding as planned, or carry it out as a discrete first step. Be careful though - those sort of electron-rich arenes can be pretty bad for you (e.g. the anisidines).  As for forming the schiff base, I've found just stirring the aldehyde and aniline with MgSO4 in toluene is a decent method.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 12:49:32 PM »
I think the idea is to form the aniline in situ by reduction and use that to form the imine? I'm guessing the dimethylamine is there to generate the benzaldehyde-derived iminium species as a better electrophile for reaction with the aniline?

Ah yes, I didn't read the OP's post properly - my mistake.

Ikakurnia: if I were you, I'd pre-make/buy the aniline, just to be sure the reduction step is proceeding as planned, or carry it out as a discrete first step.

I agree with this completely. I personally prefer catalytic hydrogenation or Zn/CuSO4 instead of Fe/HCl. I always found Fe/HCl makes a hell of a mess.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline john13579

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 11:20:42 AM »
Schiff bases are pH sensitive as well with optimal formation around a pH of 5. HCl will hydrolyze any product . For a one pot synthesis you need to adjust the pH after the reduction or use a milder method.

Sponsored Links