April 23, 2024, 11:10:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: So Confused 0_O {Inorganic Nomenclature}  (Read 1708 times)

Offline amanda85

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
So Confused 0_O {Inorganic Nomenclature}
« on: May 04, 2015, 02:50:22 PM »
Hi everyone,

This is my first post and first time on here.  I am confused, I'm in Chem 100 and studying Nomenclature of Inorganic Compounds chapter right now.  What my homework question is 
"What is the name of HNO3(aq) ?"   

I know H= Hydrogen , N= Nitrogen, O= Oxygen , 3 is tri? or ide? I also think that (aq) means dissolved in water.....Right?  I'm so so lost.  The book we are using (and even the professor agrees) is just confusing and too advanced for Chem 100. The way the book is set up and written doesn't explain very well how to do all this. 
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm not just looking for the answer, I'm trying to figure out how to actually do this!

Please Heeelllppp!!!  And I have to take 3-4 more chem classes for my major, so I really need to get a good foundation, and I may be here for the next while!

Thank you,
Amanda 

{MOD Edit -- a useful title}
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 03:10:23 PM by Arkcon »

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Oxoacid nomenclature
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 03:12:33 PM »
Well, if you don't like the textbook then you should try another one, we have a thread here with lots of suggestions.

With regards to HNO3(aq), you need to read about oxoacid nomenclature (e.g. here).

Finally, as requested in the Forum Rules, please give your threads titles that are indicative of their content in future.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: So Confused 0_O {Inorganic Nomenclature}
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 03:16:57 PM »
Many things have common names, that persist even in times when we insist on proper nomenclature.  As an example, no one calls H2O dihydrogen monoxide, everyone agrees to call it water.

Anyway, can you recognize your example as something with a simple name you should know?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links