April 16, 2024, 07:04:43 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: GC-MS Solvent Grades  (Read 3462 times)

Offline CK_72

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
GC-MS Solvent Grades
« on: May 05, 2015, 12:37:23 AM »
Hi There,
I'm wondering if anyone can share their thoughts on how important it is to use analytical grade chemicals for GC-MS analysis.  I typically use HPLC solvents for my GC-MS work, but we've run out of the typical HPLC grade stuff and it will not be easy to replace from where we are currently working.  We've been thinking about collecting our next samples in relatively high purity 'reagent grade' solvent, this one to be exact:
https://www.avantormaterials.com/commerce/product.aspx?id=2147509559
but first I'd like to get an idea for what this might mean when it comes to doing the analysis.  Do you have a sense of whether this is likely to be a problem?  Most of the compounds we are interested are heavier hydrocarbons between 10 and 30 carbons in size.
Thanks!

Offline Furanone

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +34/-2
  • Actually more a Food Chemist
Re: GC-MS Solvent Grades
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 08:13:32 AM »
Best way to know is to ask supplier for a small amount of sample solvent to test for impurities (usually will oblige with free sample since want to sell more in future), and run a blank run and compare to the higher-grade solvents when you have run these as a blank run, to see how many extra or larger impurity peaks you get. If you can live with this (since won't interfere with your separation & analysis) for the lower cost then I say hey why not?
"The true worth of an experimenter consists in pursuing not only what he seeks in his experiment, but also what he did not seek."

--Sir William Bragg (1862 - 1942)

Sponsored Links